The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cutout issues (again)
Thank you all for the replies.

I've been checking the wiring round the ruby all day today with multimeter and have got nowhere. It's still pulling the cutout closed as soon as the ignition is on. I'll disconnect it and try the ohm meter as you suggest. I'm loathe to have the dynamo rewound before I've fixed this particular issue.
Try removing all the wires to the cutout +D terminal and see what happens with the ignition on/off.
Good day.
I do not have a cut out for my Austen 7 and have heard and read about the smart diode unit, I’m in South Africa and purchasing a complete unit from England is out the budget. But I can get just the diode down here. Namely the LM 74611 kkt. Please can anyone help with wiring of the diode.
I have the 6 vdc negative earth electrical system.
Hi Harry

The Cathode of the Texas SM74611 chip (Tab and centre Pin 2) connects in place of the A terminal of the cutout. This then usually feeds via the Charge/Lighting switch through the Ammeter and then to the Battery positive.

The Anode of the 74611 (Outer Pins 1 and 3, connected together) connects in place of the D terminal of the cutout. This is fed from the main D output of the dynamo.

Current flow when charging is from Anode to Cathode

The average heat dissipation of this device is less than a quarter of a watt, so the package should not need any additional heat sink.

Later cars like the Ruby had a cutout which also incorporated the resistor for the "half charge" circuit. You will have to make separate arrangements if you want the half charge feature.