The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Starter motor foot button
I have just bought a 1929 Chummy and this whole area is new to me! 
I have a problem with the starter motor foot button next to the clutch pedal. It is stuck and does not press down. I have released the three screws on the cover plate, but the switch does not appear to want to come out of the housing. Do I need to remove the two parts to the starter motor and the button at the same time or should the button come out on its own? The main live connection from the battery is attached to the button with no exposed terminal.
Photo:

file:///C:/Users/stephen/Documents/1.%20Steve/Austin%207/Starter%20button/Starter%20button%20minus%20covers.jpg

file:///C:/Users/stephen/Documents/1.%20Steve/Austin%207/Starter%20button/Starter%20button.jpg

Please can some someone advise a step by step approach.
Many thanks

Steve

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

The cables to the switch are so thick and heavy you won't move the switch until they are undone from the back of it.

It is easy enough to remove the whole starter assembly, it is only a bolt on each side, into the crank-case.

It is a bit heavy, though, getting it out from under the dash.
Your starter button is not the original, so someone has obviously tried to repair it in the past. You can see what it is supposed to look like in an Austin Parts List, see publication 670 page 28 for instance (there is a copy on the Association archive page).
I believe modern replacements are available, although they do not look quite the same.
Modern replacements are fairly similar to the original later round ones - BG88 [Image: BG88.jpg] here
Thank you for your help, it is really appreciated! The starter appears to be in three parts; the starter button along with a top and bottom section to the starter motor. The top part of the motor is shown on the photo and has a black casing with the main live connection terminal, this has 2 long bolts holding it in place. Then there is a silver part to the starter at the bottom which is held in place by three bolts in the crank casing. Both these parts are linked by a gear visible through a small gap. 

Do I need to remove BOTH parts of the starter motor to get to the switch terminals? 
If I remove them will there be any springs, oil etc when they are removed?

I believe the starter motor has a drive key.

Attached Files
.jpg   Starter motor1.jpg (Size: 189.59 KB / Downloads: 109)
Steve,
As Simon says, remove the starter assy. off the crankcase top by removing the two long bolts. It is a little cumbersome especially with the thick battery cable attached.
Remove the rear cover - a tin sheet bolted to the unit with several cheese head screws.
Once removed this exposes the rear of the starter button.
Disconnect the battery feed cable from the switch and you can then get the unit on the bench for further investigation.
Ok, thanks Chris