The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
For sale (again)
I know there was a discussion on this site about this car when it was on the market some years ago but I can't seem to find the thread.

Vintage 1929 Austin 7 Fabric bodied Saloon Mulliner ready to use | eBay

Sadly, the vendor states that it's "believed to have been built by Mulliner" and also states that the DS, Swansea issued number, is "its original number". 

I seem to remember it was on the market for quite some time, last time around at about 6k.

Did we ever decide what, exactly it is?
Without a careful examination it's difficult to say, but in my opinion it has no Mulliner connections, nor indeed connections to any other period coachbuilder. It looks to me like someone's efforts to rescue or recreate a fabric saloon without reference to an original car. I'm not knocking it, it looks to be a delightful vintage saloon, but it's not for someone who worships originality.
This is the advert from last time:

https://classicmoto.rs/auto/austin-austi...24Mae.html

Quite a while ago now. I seem to remember it was a bit of puzzle - not considered to be as it left the factory but unclear how it had ended up quite like that, roofline and all.
I think Mike is spot on with his statements.

Studying the photos as best as possible shows it has its car number and chassis number plates and I wonder if it might just fall within the surviving ledger, if someone interested enough were to find what they said. That would probably be the best way to confirm.

The scuttle and floor etc, looks pretty factory as far as can be seen. As Mike say the most probable is a fabric saloon rebuilt by educated guess.

I agree with him in that I quite like it.

As for the registration number, well. DS was one of the the first well known scots series used for Age Related plates. And I note the DVLA have it 1st registered in 1990 which rather confirms this hypothesis. But the truth is if you saw an old motor with a DS or SV in the 1980's and 1990's it was an age related plate. Same as BS or now the BF series is presently.

Its a pity that there isn't some sort of spot the age related plate masterclass online that prospective old car buyers could refer to. I think some buyers are naïve and therefore pay over the odds for cars without original numbers.
This car has been discussed before.

The chap who restored the remains of a factory RF has done his best to recreate it and deserves a pat on the back, most would have plumped for an Ulster Rep. which are considerably easier to assemble.