The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Black, boot Black and very, very dark Blue
Hi,

It seems that all black paints are not equal, as those with a black Ruby or Box will already know?  When touching up my car, it turns out that the black pigment is the same as that used in Hammerite - so I can use that!  Other blacks seem to vary.  

Another black Ruby I owned at one time had been repainted with a black doctored to look more elderly - I think a bit of blue had been added?  

Meanwhile, there must be a standard Austin black - presumably you know it when you see it?  

Colin
Tell me about it!! I once repaired a friend's car door which was painted "Masons black". We both thought it looked great until when stopped for petrol one night the filling station's fluorescent lighting showed up the repair as a completely different shade.....
Why worry, it only in very specific lights that it becomes obvious.

I've just about finished painting my steam roller satin black. So far have used 3 different paints. Looks fine.
(27-07-2022, 12:22 PM)Ray White Wrote: Tell me about it!!  I once repaired a friend's car door which was painted "Masons black".  We both thought it looked great until when stopped for petrol one night the filling station's fluorescent lighting showed up the repair as a completely different shade.....

That’s called metamerism and is a result of mixing a colour with a different formulation...it’s quite possible to match a colour using a range of formulations and the differences tend to show up under different light sources.

The main problem is when individual panels are painted using different formulation#, you can blend across the adjacent panels, which minimises the mis-match.
Any colour would be better than SVR used for Purple Brenda, which when it emerged from the paint shop turned out to be Lilac Lizzie. Fortunately now returned to Taw Valley in green livery.