The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
We left our mark
Two of many....

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Wasn't us, Guv; it must have been some Riley Nines  Big Grin
Hi Both

Probably not something we should be proud of?  A Dutch guy we were camping next to expressed dismay that so many rather leaky Sevens did nothing to protect the grass on which they were parked whilst camping. Oil has a not too healthy affect on livestock who might eat the soiled grass.

At the Midlands rally at the NT Charlecote park, red mat protectors were provided for each car. The deer in the park don’t take kindly to sullied grass apparently.

My car leaks very little (he boasts) but if it did I’d be tempted to carry a roll up mat to protect grass or tarmac when parked for any time.

Cheers

Howard
Those photos of oil leaks are definitely not good.

A car presented for an MOT that leaks oil to any extent and then drips to the ground is now a failure with instructions to repair before re-presenting the car for a re- test.

Perhaps, as it is not mandatory to test pre-war vehicles, many A7 owners no longer have their cars MOT' d ?
Several cars would have occupied those spaces over the course of the week, so the pictures are an accumulation of leaks.
(26-07-2022, 08:50 AM)PeteUU Wrote: A car presented for an MOT that leaks oil to any extent and then drips to the ground is now a failure with instructions to repair before re-presenting the car for a re- test.

Unfortunately, it is not possible to make, what is essentially a Vintage design of engine, completely oil-tight as in a modern car.

My Chummy is pretty good but it's taken a lot of work to get there and it still drips occasionally, especially when running hard and hot in hilly areas.

I've given up trying to explain the facts to the 18 year olds that are employed as MoT inspectors these days.....
At least we don't run GNs with a total-loss system!
I made and fitted a bespoke oil drip tray attached to the underside of my Seven, and it is fitted with a drain plug. This collects any drips when driving along and wherever parked. It gets emptied every few months. The system seems to work.
(26-07-2022, 10:36 AM)andrew34ruby Wrote: I made and fitted a bespoke oil drip tray attached to the underside of my Seven, and it is fitted with a drain plug. This collects any drips when driving along and wherever parked. It gets emptied every few months. The system seems to work.

That's an excellent idea. Might you have some photographs of the installation? One of my Chummies is pretty well oil-tight, as is the Ruby - but the other Chummy is rather incontinent.
Hmm yes that isn't a great advert for the 'leave only footprints' principle. Looks like a single deposit of about a half a pint dumped there in one place rather than an accumulation. Surely the driver knew what was happening.
We go to an RHS show where we park on grass and it is a stated requirement for attendance that all cars have cardboard or similar under them.
I always carry an old baking tray under the rear seat as I once visited a good friend with a newly laid block paving driveway and found that vim, bleach, washing up liquid and lots of elbow power was the only answer to an embarrassing deposit of even a few drips.

Andy
Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think!