The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
No Go, No spark, Help!
Not wishing to teach grandmas how to suck eggs but for the not so technically minded members of the forum who’s car fails to start without any obvious signs such as strange noises etc. and fails to even make a cough or tries to start. First check if there is a spark at the plugs. If there is check to see if there is petrol getting to the cylinders shown by wet petrol smelling plugs when removed. Normally you can put failed starting down to two things. I. No spark. 2. No petrol.

John Mason.
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
Interestingly it's back to no go this morning. I was going to see if I could start it and diagnose the noise further...
I just hate it when that happens. 
I am going through a similar thing. Wouldn't start. Checked everything electrical and petrol that I could think of. Then cranking the engine over (by starter motor ) with a spark plug removed to confirm for the second time that it is sparking, the bl...y thing starts running on 3 cylinders. I replace the plug and it starts fine. Next day won't start! 
I am currently working through possible fuel flooding.
Graham If you suspect fuel flooding to be your problem crank it over a few times with the ignition switched on and it does not spark. Remove a plug and see how wet with petrol it is. If really wet yes flooding. Then with a dry plug connect it to your lead lay it on the block and crank again to check you still have spark. I would then deduce that it was wet plugs causing the no start. I would then check the carb float and float level. If level too high then put a washer under the needle valve to lower it.

John Mason.
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
John, thanks for the advice about the washer. It already had two washers, each a bit thinner than 1 mm. I have added a third washer of about 1 mm thickness. It started with choke reasonably easily, so the problem might be fixed. A few more cold starts will be needed to confirm that it is completely fixed.
Kind regards 
Graham