The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Seven in Aberglaslyn Pass in 1934
    I buy old railway magazines at £0.10 each and am surprised how often Sevens are featured.
Love it!
An absolutely wonderful image, in many ways unchanged to this day. Back in the early 1970's before the rebuilding of the Welsh Highland Railway, I walked the trackbed seen in the photo and though the tunnels in the Aberglaslyn Pass. Sadly I haven't as yet been back to sample the delights of the reopened Welsh Highland Railway.
Splendid picture, and an illustration of the fact that this year sees a couple of the most significant centenaries in the entire history of the world. There is the Austin Seven, and 1922 is being recognised as the opening of the Welsh Highland Railway. The Welsh Highland was preceded by North Wales Narrow Gauge Railway, and the full opening to the Harbourside station shared with the Ffestiniog needed the level crossing over the Cambrian, about to become the GWR, to be sorted out. But this year has seen numerous celebrations and gatherings of historic locos. All of which is a bit of a problem for those of us who have been busier than usual with Sevens. The next big event will be the WHR Weekend, featuring "Russel" and the loco in the picture "Palmerston." Perhaps unfortunately this will be Friday 29th - Sun 31st July, when a good many of us will still be lying down in darkened rooms or still unloading machines after Moreton, Prescott etc. I have no soshal meeja skills, maybe someone can send this image to the relevant FR or WHR sites. The WHR terminated at Dinas, then a junction with the LMS. It is in more recent times that there has been a works established, famous for Beyer Peacock locos and Austin Seven gearboxes.
Just nit-picking, Dave: you've labelled the file as 'Box saloon in Aberglaslyn Pass in 1934', but in fact it's a chummy, plated radiator and I think early-pattern wings, so probably a 1929 car.
There are few things better than driving an Austin 7 in beautiful scenery but in my opinion a trip on the WHR, in an open sided carriage on a red hot day, is one!
(11-07-2022, 09:25 PM)Jeff Taylor Wrote: An absolutely wonderful image, in many ways unchanged to this day. Back in the early 1970's before the rebuilding of the Welsh Highland Railway, I walked the trackbed seen in the photo and though the tunnels in the Aberglaslyn Pass. Sadly I haven't as yet been back to sample the delights of the reopened Welsh Highland Railway.

Liz and I (and 9 month old William on my back) walked the trackway and tunnels in 1977.  We went back recently and walked the new footpath which obviously but sadly misses the tunnels.

Super photo which must have involved a bit of scrambling to get to that viewpoint.

Cheers

Howard
Oops, phone calls, telegrams and other vital messages demand corrections. Of the two Beyer Garrett locos currently in service on the WHR, one, 130, was built in Gorton. The other, 87, was built under license in Belgium by Cockerills. Yes, I should get out more but there is a Ruby on axle stands outside the back door.
Yes Mike after much examination I think it is a chummy.
The file says seven in Aberglaslyn pass.
So both correct