The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1 inch SU carbs
Is there a known source for these? I have a few SU's but nothing so petite!
Joe,

1" SU 'UBA' ('VOM') carbs were fitted to late 1934 to 1938 Morris 8 Pre-Series / Series I and Series II Saloons, Two-Seaters and Tourers. Note that these carbs have a vertical inlet manifold stud flange so you'll need an adapter plate to attach to an A7 horizontal stud flange.

A slightly easier option though much more expensive is to look out for an SU 'OM' 1" carb as these have a horizontal inlet manifold stud flange - they were fitted to pre 1934 Morris Minors and their 1930's similar engined MG Sports Cars and therefore carry a much higher premium and are more scarce.

Morris 8 SU's frequently turn up on ebay at reasonable prices.

If you're wanting a slightly larger throttle diameter then the SU H1 - 1.125" fitted to the 1939 to 1948 Morris 8 Series E would be a good choice - these H1's also have the advantage of a suction piston damper which the earlier 'UBA' ('VOM') carbs don't have. As with the earlier Morris 8 'UBA' ('VOM') carbs the H1's have a vertical inlet manifold stud flange. These too turn up quite frequently on ebay at reasonable prices.

There's also a 1.125" SU downdraught carb used on a 1946 to 1948 Wolseley 8, but these are quite rare as are the cars.

Hope this is of some help.

Jeff.
Thanks Jeff - Is there a good 1.125 manifold about?

Please excuse the ignorance. I'm only really familiar with blown A7 engines and those by proxy.
Joe, you can reorientate the studs with an adaptor plate. Tony Betts (7 County Austins) apparently does them for several sizes of SU. When I spoke to him on the phone earlier this year he quoted a very reasonable price for both a 1.125 SU and the adaptor and asked me to email him. Unfortunately, I never got a reply to either of my emails but try anyway, you may have more luck.  I'd wait a couple of weeks until after the Centenary event though.
Joe

Pretty sure I have a 1.125 SU that you can have if you want it. You can owe me a pint at Wiscombe.
If you're interested I'll email photos tomorrow sometime.

C
(12-07-2022, 11:56 PM)Charles P Wrote: Pretty sure I have a 1.125 SU that you can have if you want it. You can owe me a pint at Wiscombe.
If you're interested I'll email photos tomorrow sometime.
Very kind, I'll jump at that. Thank you very much!
There is much discussion of the preference for 1” or 1 1/8” carbs. My ongoing experience is with a 1” carb, which has enjoyed an Odyssey amongst Sevenists from Cheshire to Monmouthshire for about fifteen years. You will need to ring up the nice man at Burlen to order replacement gaskets and seals of every sort. Existing pieces will either be old and brittle, or unable to cope with modern petrol. It might be easier to do this at one go at the start of the job!

.jpg   IMG_5461.jpg (Size: 106.77 KB / Downloads: 243)

.jpg   IMG_5462.jpg (Size: 117.68 KB / Downloads: 242)

.jpg   IMG_5463.jpg (Size: 115.39 KB / Downloads: 234)

I'm sure there's a float chamber around as well. I'll look for that and find the choke levers and dashpot damper. 
I'd kept this carb as possibly needed for my Fiat but Rob Beck donated the corect obscure Zenith 26. 
Joe - send me your address and I'll post it

c
I’m also looking for an SU carb
1” or 1 1/8 “
Thanks
There will be an 1 1/8" SU on my stall at Moreton next week, I sorted it into the SU box today!