The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Friends' Gallery Picture of the Month - July 2022
A South African Speedy (I assume the presence of trafficators and wing-mounted sidelights means it's not a 75), photo from Roly and Marion Pattle, submitted by Greig Smith.

Attached Files
.jpeg   1935 Export Speedy (S Africa).jpeg (Size: 93.64 KB / Downloads: 500)
Wow! Do we know anything more about it? Interested for the Speedy Register.
The wheels look as though they are possibly 18 or 19 inch with quite wide rims.
The car looks to be all the same colour, possibly black which was a standard factory option.
Interesting that images of previously unrecorded cars still turn up.
The wheels are the standard 16" Export wheels (4.50x16 tyres). The trafficator boxes are almost certainly black, and they seem to have the same tone as the bodywork, wings and wheels, so you're probably right that it's a black car.
One of the ancestry sites has a program that can turn old black/white photos into true coloured ones.  Anyone on here have such a program so we could see these old photos in true colours?
In the early days of TV before colour we had black/white TVs on our ships and once colour became more common and after a bit of lobbying the firm got Marconi to make up boards of electronics that I fitted to the TVs to turn them into full colour using the UK standard (American standard - NTSC was hopeless).  If I remember correctly, the electronics just converted the"grey scale " of the pictures to colour through suitable TV tubes that had the 3 slots for the 3 colours that make up the spectrum......such luxury in those days and quite a bit of a pain setting up the various adjustable components on the boards.  Didn't last long as it fortunately soon became cheaper to buy colour TVs than mess about doing the conversions.

Dennis
(06-07-2022, 12:43 AM)Dennis Nicholas Wrote: One of the ancestry sites has a program that can turn old black/white photos into true coloured ones.  Anyone on here have such a program so we could see these old photos in true colours?
In the early days of TV before colour we had black/white TVs on our ships and once colour became more common and after a bit of lobbying the firm got Marconi to make up boards of electronics that I fitted to the TVs to turn them into full colour using the UK standard (American standard - NTSC was hopeless).  If I remember correctly, the electronics just converted the"grey scale " of the pictures to colour through suitable TV tubes that had the 3 slots for the 3 colours that make up the spectrum......such luxury in those days and quite a bit of a pain setting up the various adjustable components on the boards.  Didn't last long as it fortunately soon became cheaper to buy colour TVs than mess about doing the conversions.

Dennis
There are many programs that do a basic greyscale to colour conversion (just Google it) - and they are getting better. Unfortunately, they still need some quite involved handwork afterwards using Photoshop - or the whole thing can be done by hand using that program if you have the time and patience. Here's one I did with an auto-convert program,  followed by some hand adjustments.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

The only further info I have on the car is that it was Marion's Dad's car before she was born. Sadly at the beginning of the year Roly passed away and Marion is in a frail care facility with failing memory.

A lot of the later 7's out here have 16" wheels, I presume it was the Colonial specification. There don't seem to be many 17 or 18" wheels amongst the 7's here, in fact in all Dad's stash, we have one 17" and one 18". We have plenty of 16" including 7 of the offset ones. 19 and 16 are the common ones here.

I wondered if the number plate CA34075 wasn't chosen to be '34 Type 75. CA is the prefix for Cape Town & the terrain certainly looks like it.

Aye
Greig
Hi Tony,

I have sent you a PM.

Stephen