The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Steering wheel nut
Any thoughts on the size of the steering column thread? 
I’m having trouble finding a suitable nut to fix the steering wheel. 
3/4” x 20 tpi is too small.
I’ve just checked 4 columns and the threads are all between 0.775” and 0.781” x 20 tpi.
Could the thread really be 25/32”? Seems unlikely?
Hi Henry
On my 1934 car the spanner for this nut is 5/8" BSW so suggests a Whitform thread, although the dimensions you give are a spit off M20 x 1.25mm. None of which is likely to help you at all I'm afraid, although Tracy Tools have some esoteric sizes in their taps listings. There seem to be a number of Admiralty threads on Austins, which are all bastard sizes. They are a hangover from Austin's wartime contracts. A mate with a lathe and some 28mm hex bar is probably what you need if noone has a nut they'll sell you.
Although I don't know for sure, Colin's reference to Admiralty thread size, echos my impressions when I first read your post. There are a number of Admiralty threads on the Seven, always seeming to be in the (somewhat) larger sizes.

Erich in Mukilteo
I'm a great believer in that it is what you measure it to be. 

Sounds like 25/32 20tpi to me
When I worked at the Seven Workshop we stocked these nuts.
I suspect that may well be still the case.
(22-06-2022, 11:42 PM)Ian Dunford Wrote: When I worked at the Seven Workshop we stocked these nuts.
I suspect that may well be still the case.

I'm glad to say that Seven Workshop had one left in stock and it fits like a glove, (or a steering wheel nut).