The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ball joint splitter required
Hi all 

Has anybody got some dimensions or photos of a a ball joint splitter for the drag link ball joints ? one of mine is fighting back so I need a splitter of some kind

I am trying to get the tube off with both joints to refurb them  

Thanks
Mike
Do you have a photo of your drag link ? 

Typically the end caps come off, the spring and cup move over and the drag links come out ?

Reading this again, are you trying to get the ball out [!!] with the drank link still attached?

Either way a bit of heat is always handy
I presume that you are trying to extract the tapered ball out of the steering arms so you can work on the drag link assembly on the bench for which I use     
When I first did this job I borrowed one like Dave's from a friend. The width of the forks is 1/2" and trying to get one for myself afterwards I struggled to find one, the standard offering having a 19mm gap which is too big. I now use a small two arm bearing puller, which does the job but is more fiddly.
(10-06-2022, 10:16 AM)Colin Wilks Wrote: When I first did this job I borrowed one like Dave's from a friend. The width of the forks is 1/2" and trying to get one for myself afterwards I struggled to find one, the standard offering having a 19mm gap which is too big. I now use a small two arm bearing puller, which does the job but is more fiddly.

I have the same issue with mine, but found that inserting an open ended spanner into the jaws from the opposite direction closed the gap nicely and allowed the puller to sit tight under the loosened castellated nut. The one I have is a sykes pikavant one much like this

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/275339183331?...SwKatinJRX
I have always managed to break the taper on ball joints with the aid of a pry bar and a hammer. After removing the nut put some tension on the taper with the pry bar as if attempting to lever it off. It will not come off by levering alone but whilst putting pressure on the pry bar strike the area where the taper goes through sharply with the hammer. It does not have t be a heavy blow just hard enough for the shock wave to break the hold of the taper. I have also used this method to remove hard fast flywheels but used a puller to put the tension on.

John Mason.
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
Or make one out of scrap!

Adrian.
Thanks for the help I am indeed using one of the small ball joint breakers as mentioned, I will try to modify it or use a spanner to bridge the gap as mentioned, the one nearest the gearbox is giving me the issue where its tight to get at
Thanks for the help guys
Mike