The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Speed quandry
Hi Rob and Jim and Vance

I must admit to feeling rather exposed at 50mph.  It’s a bit better since I slackened off the shock absorbers a bit ?.  As you say Rob it’s not so much directional stability as vulnerability.

Vance, your 35mph does sound like an ignition timing problem, however are you relying on the car’s speedo. Not accurate at the best of times. I’d also check the brakes for binding as downhill you shouldn’t be too dependent on the engine !

Cheers

Howard
I trust, to use one of those gloriously succint  expressions from across the Tasman, we are not all having our tits pulled here.
I covered many miles flat out at 50 mph in my RP and notably more when the southerlies peaked. OK on a good surface but broken patches raised the pulse rate. On one occassion a section had been resealed gloriously smooth but ended in an abrupt 3 inch step down. There was a posted speed limit but pre mobile radar compliance was  optional. As was its way the Austin turned through about 15 deg as it leaped off the edge.The following few seconds were very exciting. Hydraulic rear s.as totally cured such antics.
How big is the valve tappet feeler gauge. I don't have to og one but how big in mm
Vance, there is a certain amount of variation of opinion on tappet settings, but on my own car with a standard engine I set them to 6 thou inlet (or 0.15mm) inlet and 8 thou (or 0.20mm) exhaust. Works for me.