The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Original ulster engine rebuild
Aha... schoolboy error... not so obvious on this one, but nicely illustrates how it might be a challenge to add a vent pipe. 

Pushing on with this build.

The carb has been rebuilt, BUT the bottom half is only on loan.

My original just had 30 stamped.

I now have a 30 mov bottom half that is going out tomorrow to be checked and rebuilt.

In the meantime, the pile of parts that have been worked on. Or even just cleaned and painted, are starting to pile up.

if I can dodge the phone next week. A couple of days of cleaning and painting, should see the engine starting to go back together.

This is the old superloy valve chest cover. That was fitted. (In a hurry last time I went round sealing leaks).

Here is the new cover and knurled knobs I get made myself.

I'll be fitting these because they dont have any manufacturers Mark's, like superloy.

I've also filed of the part numbers from the seven workshops side water manifold.

Nothing against the seven workshop OR MYSELF. I just dont want after market markings on the engine.

The crankshaft looks very similar to my IKEngineering shaft except that it's pressure fed?
the crank and rods are a set of 35 year old phoenix.
Looking good Tony and I agree with you, this particular build benefits from having the new part numbers filed off...I just drive mine so I wouldn’t bother!
thanks ivor,

you just think you are getting somewere?

i went out today to sort the broken seal.

it must have run loose in its housing for a wile. as the housing is now baggy.

so ive had to go for a seal 1/8 smaller O/D and have a sleave fitted.

hopefully this will be done in the morning.

tony
Well, I now have a pile of mainly restored parts.

The repaired nosecone came back, yesterday morning.

The old steel lip seal had been spinning in the housing for a long time. And the result was it had warn the housing enough that a new seal would not hold.

So the housing has been sleeved, and a smaller o/d lip seal fitted.

I see you have an insert in the clutch thrust bearing with 3 distinct wear points.
Today, I got started with the actual rebuild.

Re-ground the pump vaines, and fitted new springs. Ground the pick up plate. So should work to its max.

Also finished cleaning surfaces to take the block.

Fitted the nose cone.

And prepared the rods and pistons for fitting.

Tomorrow is a bank holiday, so no answering the phone. What so ever Big Grin