The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Original ulster engine rebuild
A quick question, Tony. Are the wedges ground out of the tops of the bores an original Austin feature on the sports blocks or are they a later addition?
When Unipart 20/50 became unavailable I tried another classic oil only to have a valve sticking in no time. So I dumped that oil and tried Halfords Classic 20/50 another detergent oil and the valve freed up within half a mile.
that`ll do me dave.

hi reckers, the porting is added.

thanks tony
Hi Tony, stupid question maybe: Do you have the valve chest cover vented? I have found that without venting of some sort the amount of oil mist drawn into the valve chest is restricted and can lead to sticking valves especially if short journeys are regularly undertaken.
Black Art Enthusiast
I have a Speedex tappet chest cover that hasn't been drilled for venting, much like Tony's Supaloy one (I'm assuming Tony doesn’t have holes as there are none visible). I'm considering using short studs and venting through the centre of cross-drilled thumb screws, just to avoid drilling holes in the cover now. I think it would be easier to add a pipe to a catch tank that way too,given the ribbed surface.
hi nick,

the car came with a standard cover, but the venting holes were filled. i dont know why it wasnt vented. maybe because its a pessure feed engine.

it always leaked.

so i used the speedex cover, to set a leak free seal.

ill replace it with one of the plain covers i make, when im rebuilding.

tony.
An unvented crankcase is inviting oil leaks, irrespective of whether the crankshaft is pressure-fed or not.
so do the plain ally covers have vents and if so where?
hi jonE.

i dont put any holes in, i leave that to the customer.

otherwise the austin 7 world will have me personalising them to each and everyones taste.

and at my prices, i cant let them do that.

tony
Are these not holes?