The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dealing with high fuel prices
It appears that a snap-in solution was available a long time ago. Or was it?
Click the image twice for a high-resolution copy.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Such products were endless.
In the 1940s my father used to closely check consumption of our RP, often letting it run out (seldom a hazard in the traffic then) Twice a year we journied 200 miles to visit grandparents. With two 1940s portioned adults (9-10 stone) and two small children he regularly noted 50 mpg. Speed was kept to 40 mph as he found faster too tirng on the narrow bumpy and winding main roads of the time. No traffic holdups (except stock drives!) and no traffic light stops. I ran a Javelin for decades  and tinlered with jets. Around town economy was improved from low to mid 20s, and it did 30 mpg cruising at 60 mph. But the car was plagued with burned XB valves and pocketed seats.
In modern traffic it is near impossible to drive a Seven economically. For those with manual advance there may be a gain available from generous advance at light throttle.
Yes, a quick Google list dozens of them - including lots of modern ones where fools are have paid as much as $2000 for a unit that did the opposite of what was claimed. Want to save fuel? Drive slowly...
I remember a Chemistry teacher showing us the "quick'n'eazy" way to empty a demijohn bottle with a sudden circular shake. This would start a vortex in the neck of the bottle and it would empty smoothly and fairly quickly. He then went on to tell tales of all the magic "super-vortex", "spark magnifier" and "snake oil" remedies for fuel economy, increased speed, bigger sparks, stickier oil, Redex UCL etc.etc.
Oh, and the perennial "secret Government recipe for converting water into petrol with teaspoon of chemicals available for a single penny", supressed by the petrol industry...
I'm still intrigued by the idea of  rigging up a water mist system.
Water injection systems were fashionable in the 1950s. Many cars ran cr very high for the available fuel and with these could be helpful (several prototype Jowetts were imported to NZ with engines somewaht as the Le Mans cars and at least one was run with injection, until it leaked when stationary...) With then so many ex wartime aero mechanics the notion was not new although in aircraft the mix included alcohol. The water absorbs energy but with very high cr other effects compensate.

(The many skilled ex airforce mechanics enabled English cars to thrive.....)
(19-04-2022, 11:56 PM)Bob Culver Wrote: Water injection systems were fashionable in the 1950s. Many cars ran cr very high for the available fuel and with these could be helpful (several prototype Jowetts were imported to NZ with engines somewaht as the Le Mans cars and at least one was run with injection, until it leaked when stationary...) With then so many ex wartime aero mechanics the notion was not new although in aircraft the mix included alcohol. The water absorbs energy but with very high cr other effects compensate.

(The many skilled ex airforce mechanics enabled English cars to thrive.....)

I had a Fiat UNO Turbo that was modified with boost doubled (132 bhp+) and water injection to cool the charge. It appeared to work just fine - the tuning shop explained that with water added, maximum boost and full power could be maintained without anything melting  - rather like the "combat" setting on some WW2 fighters I suppose. Normally, it ran at half the extra boost and even at that setting - it was a very small, light car - the performance was pretty formidable (especially as it was fitted with a UNO 55 tailgate). Perhaps I should have added a bottle of alcohol to the water tank...