The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If they were so good, where are they all now?
I've always looked at the survival of the seven through the quantity of spares available.

Although the spares are there for a number of reasons.

Mainly as sed before, the 750 sports world. It kept the interest in sevens, post war people were making cheap specials etc. So the spares were VALUED AND STORED.

This then allowed enthusiasts to go back and pull those early chassis etc out and restore them to there original state.

Take the austin 10, it was always seen as an inbetween car. If you went bigger than a 7 you normally jumped up to a 12. So for decades the 10 wasnt valued. The car suffered. And the SPARES were little value and mainly thrown. Especially large body parts.

Many cars have the same history and they are wanted more. The back up isn't there in the same way as the seven.

The humble little morris 1000, is a good case. I remember 20 years ago, I would go around all the people who held huge barns of parts for them. As I was buying up all the cheap snail Adjusters at the time for austin 7 hydraulic brakes. A couple of those horders told me they might as well WHEIGH IN. all the parts because people sor3 them as valueless? I take it some of those people did so. Because try buying a bonet etc for a morris 1000 today. There not much out there, and if you find good parts. They are very expensive.

The future of the austin 7s success will always come down to what parts are sort after and what people are prepared to pay for them. , and if people can afford to keep putting the quantity of spares on shelves. And of course how many suppliers are left to carry this on in the future.

Tony.