The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
micro car?
(18-04-2022, 09:12 PM)Bob Culver Wrote: Did th wagon driver wear a seat belt? It is a very long way to fall? Most persons are afraid on a single storey roof.
I can recall when mikmen still delivered with horse and cart in Wellington NZ. Many houses are off footpaths above or below raod level. The horse would walk itself to where the deliverer would re appear. In the event of a runaway not sure if the driver or horse was charged.
With climate change adjustments imminent it is remarkable what can be done with 2 hp, less than the output of a 2 bar heater.

Hi Bob, the chances of a seat belt being used are zero. Some many years ago I was speaking to the director of UK Health and Safety and he told me that one of their latest projects was a fencing system to stop drivers from falling off the top deck of car transporters. I enquired how many times this had happened, and he said that in the last ten years there had been four fatalities and some serious injuries. He explained that the whole concept was much more complicated than at first thought as - if I remember correctly - the wire fencing and supports had to self-erecting and collapse and, of course, strong enough to stop a drunken 25-stone driver intent on suicide. A couple of weeks later I was at a car body shop where the owner showed me a brand new Aston Martin where the (very drunken) driver of a transporter had managed to drive it sideways off from the top deck to land, on its side, on one of those rather strong cast-iron telephone junction boxes. The car was bent like a banana and written off by the insurance. He reckoned he could fix it like new - and make a small fortune.
(17-04-2022, 08:11 PM)Howard Wright Wrote:
(17-04-2022, 06:42 PM)Anne Griffiths Wrote: Did the Peel 50 only come in Lemon & Orange? Just asking for a friend

I’ve seen powder blue ones Anne.

Cheers

Howard

The Peel 50 looks to be a later derivative of the original Peel TRIDENT which I believe exploded on the market in about 1965. I remember seeing brand new examples outside the factory  on the harbourside in Peel Isle of Man in July 1966, alongside the prototype Viking, a four wheel version using mini bits.
Peel Tridents were finished in Tartan Red and looked much more attractive.
The original 'Tart Trap' perhaps? Confused Big Grin Rolleyes
That reminds me of a story I heard decades ago Bob, A brewers dray was making it's rounds in London when the dray man had a heart attack, the horse followed it's route back to the brewery where the dray man received medical attention.
Amazing photo Roland.  Particularly if it was an unstaged shot.  What were the chances of the vehicles coinciding to give such a great composition.  Thanks for sharing it with us old-fashioned types who refuse to join Face Book.
Graham.
My farmer uncle used to take goods to market in Gloucester by horse and cart. If he stopped at a hostelry on his way home, about 6 miles, then he might nod off. Never mind, the horse Duke knew the way home.
My in-laws had a cottage in rural Spain; they recounted how, in the mid-1980s, the local farmer purchased his first van. On Saturday evening he took his usual trip in to the local town. Returning late in the evening, somewhat the worse for drink, he drove it off the road and down a ravine - unlike his usual mode of transport, a mule, it wasn't very good at finding its way home!