The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
One of those days in the workshop!
I am sure you know how this one goes, you have a plan in mind and at some point you become side tracked or in this case seriously bogged down in  something you have done several times over the years and never given a thought. Well today it just will not go and although I have done it half a dozen times in the last ten years, it was so simply I never gave it a thought.
I am talking about putting the flywheel cover back on the engine in my RP saloon having reinstalled the engine after a rebuild. Same engine as came out, bolted to same gearbox, lowered in using an engine hoist. Four feet bolts located correctly, rubber mounted as it was before. By habit I start in the cabin on the passenger side, connect the prop shaft, front prop shaft cover plate fitted over the handbrake and fastened down. Next is the flywheel cover, which I think, but as I say have never given it a thought until now, goes on from inside the car and with the engine in place. Not this time, it will not fit under the bulkhead and over the flywheel?
I have tried from either side and from within the engine compartment, it is a mile away from fitting over the flywheel!
Am I correct in thinking it should fit from inside the car?
Should it be removable to see the timing marks whenever one wants?
What have I overlooked?
Will someone save me from the madness that is making me doubt my memory , please?
As original there is no full access on an RP. The gearbox cannot be removed internally. Did you somehow juggle it into place from below?
It should go in after engine installation, or rather I got the one in on the RP here about a month ago. And I believe as I have a low chassis crankcase, the arse end of the engine sits higher than it would with the correct case. 

I seem to remeber having to undo the throttle shaft to get it out of the way however.
No Bob, as I said, I attached the gearbox to the engine and put the two into the car together.
Yes Hedd that is my memory of previous times, thanks I will try removing the throttle shaft in case that helps.
I cant help thinking that in order to see the timing mark on the flywheel, the cover has to be removed, so surely this would have to be accomplished without major dismantling?