The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do we really know what we're talking about?
I've never been wholly comfortable with the modern habit of referring to Austin Seven models by their body code. Whilst it works for a great number of cars, there are far too many anomalies for it to be a reliable means of identification.

There's an unmolested Seven on eBay at the moment which shows the problem; most of us would be happy to refer to it as an Opal, although according to original Austin sales literature it should really be known as a 2-Seater, and today's convention would be to call it an APE tourer. The listing provides lots of detailed photos, including the chassis and engine numbers (215606 and 286229, so it's had an engine change), even the body number (1148), but the Car Number plate, which doesn't look like it's been tampered with, reads AVH-5070, which should be a van!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/363759874390?...SwIMpiK3DY

Thoughts, anyone?
Hi

Registered March 1935, but it is clearly a "Mark 2" chassis from later than mid-1936 with semi-girling brakes, and the body has the later deep front wings and late hubcaps. The radiator also has the late Ruby overflow arrangement. Doesn't look too horrendous in condition compared to some offerings.
interesting. Just bought a couple of rough old screens off that chap. I'll email him about the V5.
I don't think either of the alloy plates have original stamping fonts.
Nice to see it has its original registration, so tracing its history should be a lot simpler.

Over priced but that includes what many would say is a valuable number plate, so no surprise there. Nevertheless a great buy for some sensitive recommissioning.
looks plenty molested to me.
I agree with Hedd here, and don't think this is a good example of an issue with the numbering system we have identified in more recent years. The car has quite obviously had a lot of work done in years past and could well be as bitsa using a V5 from a Van.
Black Art Enthusiast
The fonts on those plates are not Austin factory ones.
The V5C is 7.3.35 and IS a tourer. But it's a modern logbook only.
I wonder whether anything can be discerned from the AVH car number (which will, of course, be fine with that chassis number...!) versus the APE body number position in its series and its relation to other chassis before and after? There are sometimes precious few body numbers recorded though...
(28-03-2022, 04:54 PM)Mike Costigan Wrote: I've never been wholly comfortable with the modern habit of referring to Austin Seven models by their body code.

Nor me. So I tend not to. 
As you say, a modern habit, or perhaps an affectation if I'm being more brutal. 

Yes, I am that grumpy!

C
So, to summarise:

Registration CPE 70 March 1935, Surrey
Body AVH 5070 About 1935, Van
Chassis 215606 About Mid 1935

Brakes, Wings, Hubcaps Mid 1936 or later
Radiator About 1937
Engine M286229 About 1937, 3 Bearing with detachable starting handle
Body (APE ?) 1148 Late 1936 to Early 1937. (APE 818 was Oct 1936)