The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
freeing steering wheel control tubes
Just realised mine are completely locked solid. Has anyone achieved success in freeing up such and wish to outline the best way? Not just the two, but annoyingly the broken outer that is normally fixed in the base of the steering box!
Soaking in diesel for as long as it takes is probably a good method.
Jim
I managed to free some off with heat but just don't overdo it, especially at the top as the levers are only soft soldered to the tubes.
(26-03-2022, 07:15 PM)Mark R Wrote: I managed to free some off with heat but just don't overdo it, especially at the top as the levers are only soft soldered to the tubes.

Me too but, as he says, take it easy. Gas Blow Lamp 'waved' up and down has worked for me on two tube sets that were well seized. Once freed, lubricate well before re-assembly.

Steve
righty ho, thanks - will do a bit of the heaty thing and then find a very tall thin jam jar....
Jon, I used a length of gas pipe with a blanking plug on the end, filled it with diesel, dropped the tubes into the pipe and warmed the lot up with a heat gun. Left it a week, warmed it up again, took out the tubes then did a lot of waggling...I got there in the end!
it seems I have a similar issue on the chummy. The throttle is free. But the ignition is solid