The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brake shoes
I have an assortment of aluminium brake shoes, 1A4075 1 1/4 inch wide; common fitment for late RP and MkI Ruby. Distance between pivot ant cam face centre 5 inches.
I also have 8 X 1A4099 1 1/4 inch wide; distace between pivot and cam face centre 5 1/2. What do the A14099 shoes fit? I seem to vaguely remember "offset pivots", but cannot remember application. 
Thanks, in advance for any advice.
JW
Hi

I had these shoes on fitted to my January 1936 Pearl.  The offset pivot design with "lozenge shaped" backplates was used briefly for the very last of the Austin braked cars, befor the switch to semi-girling in mid 1936.  I guess it was an attempt to get more leverage and squeeze out a little more braking.    

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Had those on my early type July 36 registered Ruby but were cast iron not alloy.
All my brakes now have been converted to semi girling types
Denis S
I find the off-set shoes like this to be one of the best systems that Austin produced for the Seven.
There don't look to be many rivets holding the linings on.
The only reason I swapped was the fact that I had a mix between the front and rear brakes, with lozenge style on the front and semi girling on the rear when purchased.
I also had to fit “shoes” on each brake shoe at the brake actuator and had to fit a shim on the pivot to get any real contact between pads and drums, probably worn drums??
As I had the makings of a full semi-girling front axle as a spare, it seemed a no brainer not to swop to have semi girling all around rather than a mix.
I would have done the same in that situation Dennis - with a full compliment of the correct levers and drums the offset shoe system is very effective indeed.
According to all the books, moving the fulcrum toward the centre increases the tendency to grab and lock. So presumably moving it away should reduce the braking??!! Was it done to improve braking or counter complaints of grabbing, shudder etc? it seems very unlikely Austin would have made brakes  even less effective (some contemporary road tests discreetly avoid mention of)