The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Travel plans centenary
Hi all

I am going to be traveling from Nottingham to the centenary in July and looking for the best route with a seven, you all know what I mean, has anybody mapped out a route that avoids major busy roads etc, I can do the A46 and then B roads but just checking if somebody has a better idea

Cheers

Mike
When driving the Seven I set a route using Google maps and choose the cycling setting, which gives you the best roads for our cars and less chance of holding up fast moving traffic...the result is usually a quiet, relaxing route for those of us not in a hurry!
Either your suggested route via the A46, but that means negotiating Leicester city traffic, or alternatively how about the A453 and A42 to Ashby de la Zouch, the A511 towards Coalville but branch off right onto the A447 through Ibstock and Hinckley, then a short run down the A5 until you hit the Fosse Way and head south through Brinklow, Princethorpe and Halford.
You can go via the A453 to East Midlands airport. Drive past the entrance to the airport then follow the signs for griffidam, Pegg’s green, raven stone, Ibstock, cadeby, until you get to Hinckley then look for signs for the A5 to high cross where you can then pick up the Fosse way all the way to Morton in the marsh
DONT USE THE A5 from hinckley.

sorry but the turning onto the fosse road from here is a VERY busy dual carrage way. so 70mph and plenty of idiots and lorrys. plus to turn onto the fosse from here you have to get into the FAST LANE AND TURN RIGHT. someones going to get killed in a slow car in the fast lane.

instead go throught elmesthorpe to sharnford instead of hinckley. check the map this comes out at the A5. BUT a mile before it, there is a turning on the left called BUMBLBEE lane. it joins the A5 dirrecly opposit the fosse way. it much safer to cross in the breaks in the traffic.

im sure someone can put up a map for this.

tony
... or how about taking the B4109 out of Hinckley, through Wolvey to join the Fosse Way near Stretton under Fosse? That way you cross the A5 on a roundabout at Junction 1 of the M69.
(08-03-2022, 09:00 PM)Tony Betts Wrote: DONT USE THE A5 from hinckley.

sorry but the turning onto the fosse road from here is a VERY busy dual carrage way. so 70mph and plenty of idiots and lorrys. plus to turn onto the fosse from here you have to get into the FAST LANE AND TURN RIGHT. someones going to get killed in a slow car in the fast lane.

instead go throught elmesthorpe to sharnford instead of hinckley. check the map this comes out at the A5. BUT a mile before it, there is a turning on the left called BUMBLBEE lane. it joins the A5 dirrecly opposit the fosse way. it much safer to cross in the breaks in the traffic.

im sure someone can put up a map for this.

tony

Thanks Tony, that is a very valuable piece of information.....I just need to collect a few dozen more from my trip from Lancaster to Moreton O M..
(08-03-2022, 03:02 PM)Ivor Hawkins Wrote: When driving the Seven I set a route using Google maps and choose the cycling setting, which gives you the best roads for our cars and less chance of holding up fast moving traffic...the result is usually a quiet, relaxing route for those of us not in a hurry!

What a good idea — but — my dear wife cycled from our front door in Norfolk to Scotland a few years ago. She followed  
a route recommended for cyclists, avoiding major roads wherever possible. I’m pretty sure she didn’t hold up any fast moving traffic but she ended up doing a bit over 1000 miles.
With the extraordinary price of petrol just now it might be something to bear in mind!
(08-03-2022, 03:02 PM)Ivor Hawkins Wrote: When driving the Seven I set a route using Google maps and choose the cycling setting, which gives you the best roads for our cars and less chance of holding up fast moving traffic...the result is usually a quiet, relaxing route for those of us not in a hurry!

I use google maps a lot, sometimes using the cycling setting.

This is a good start to point us in the right direction on small roads, but often it includes sections of bridleway or even footpaths. Sometimes a better way is to use the 'car' setting and then drag the route onto smaller roads. It doesn't let you drag onto bridleways.
(11-03-2022, 11:08 AM)andrew34ruby Wrote:

I use google maps a lot, sometimes using the cycling setting.

This is a good start to point us in the right direction on small roads, but often it includes sections of bridleway or even footpaths. Sometimes a better way is to use the 'car' setting and then drag the route onto smaller roads. It doesn't let you drag onto bridleways.

This is very sensible — we don’t want to hold up fast moving horses!