The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Using carbon HT leads with acorn caps...
Could anyone tell me if this is possible and how I should go about it please?

I need to fit suppressed HT leads to a project with a DK4 cap - I would prefer to use the brass crimped ends at the plug too, any practical experience in this area would be very welcome.
Hi Ruairidh 

I bought a set of these a few weeks ago to try and solve interference with led indicators and an electronic rev counter.

They seem to work fine and have cured the suppression problems.

Cheers

Howard

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Austin-7-Trad...635-2958-0
Thank you Howard - can you take a photo of the acorn end for me please?
I use a length of solid copper wire from a mains cable about 1-1/2" long. Push it up inside the cable then bend it over 90 degrees and bend it round in a circle flat against the end of the acorn.
has been working well for us for a long time.
Jim
That sounds perfect - have/can you do the same at the spark plug end as well Jim?
(07-03-2022, 07:00 PM)Ruairidh Dunford Wrote: Thank you Howard - can you take a photo of the acorn end for me please?

Hi Ruairidh 

I’ll take a photo first thing tomorrow.

Cheers

Howard
Very helpful - thank you!
Hi Howard

Do you use the brass crimped end on the plug end.

I had problems with LED indicators which I eventually rectified by using suppressor caps. Whilst it solved the problem I don't like the appearance, I would prefer to use the proper brass ends
Buy an Austin 7 they said, It's easy to work on they said !
I just stripped the insulation and poked the grey stringy bit (technical term) through the brass washers. I think on the plug end I would have done the same and folded it back onto the outside of the lead before crushing the crimp, much as you would with copper... I like the idea of a strand of copper to beef it up.
Hi All

Photos as requested.  I bought two sets of leads, one to keep in the car as a spare. These are photos of my spare set.

The dizzy end connection looks secure but time will tell.  The plug caps are plain enough to look reasonably period.  However like Barry I would have preferred brass screw ends.

Hope this helps?

Cheers

Howard

.jpeg   75C6AFCF-265E-49E3-8241-9EC2653724D0.jpeg (Size: 139.72 KB / Downloads: 200)
.jpeg   B644EEDA-A12F-4B11-B7D7-D433F1AC8964.jpeg (Size: 141.24 KB / Downloads: 200)