The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Engine test stand...
Years ago, someone gave me a cut down Ruby chassis, mounted on four legs and I have been meaning to make an engine test bed ever since. I collected various other parts, the radiator from a scrap Suzuki Jimny, starter switch from an A35, lawnmower fuel tank, one of those CAV ammeters that flooded the autojumble market some years back and a whole lot of steel angle bar. The last couple of weeks, I got my act together and put things together to run an engine, out of the car.

You might say "isn't it easier to put it in the car?" but this test stand is for use where there isn't a car, for a spare engine or for trying out some esoteric mods. The engine can be removed in side half an hour and put in in under an hour. There's an ammeter to test the dynamo and an oil pressure gauge for the obvious.

Needs a coat of Hammerite now but it's tested and works.

I'm quite pleased with the result, does anyone else have something similar?
Hi Parazine

I would love to have something like this but it’s quite an investment even from scrap parts.  

Another thing that would worry me would be running a new engine without some load for fear of glazing the bores. I’ve been a bit paranoid not to idle new engines I’ve built.

Well done

Cheers

Howard
        Many years ago I made a engine transportation stand to transport an engine from my cellar workshop to the garage using joist off cuts from a skip and supermarket trolley castors. It was a natural progression to use it as a test stand using Seven spares & a lawn mower petrol tank. The brake drum and 3"x 3" are used to load the ebgine.
As part of the 'Pop-up' Museum displays at Moreton in Marsh, a number of engines will be on display in purpose built engine 'cradles'. These are of a proven design and can be used to hold engines when they are being rebuilt. The Archive will have no need of these after the event and they will be sold off on a first come, first served basis. When the arrangements of that are to hand, I will post something here so interested parties can form an orderly queue...

Hugh
Mine is identical to Dave's wooden one on wheels, very easy to lift engines in and out of and wheel about. I gave up on locating studs to hold the engine down and just sit it on the wooden side rails.

I also attach the downpipe the opposite way round so exhaust is pointing out in front.
Speedex engine on test stand can check for any minor leaks, check oil pressure, strobe ignition timing and check carb settings. Terry.        
Not seen a hydrolastic suspension pump unit for years. An Austin Seven special tool of the sixties.
I made two of these transportation stands for two engines, the first photo is of the mark 1 and needs the spacer under the rear engine mounts to give clearance for the clutch pedal, the second photo is the mark 2 which doesn't need the spacers.
(24-02-2022, 03:13 PM)Peter Clayton Wrote: Not seen a hydrolastic suspension pump unit for years. An Austin Seven special tool of the sixties.

And the nineties! Its for my MGF.