The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A7 19" wheel run-out
Can anyone tell me the acceptable run-out with a dial gauge on the rim of my A7 wheel ie. with the gauge stem horizontal.
Thanks, Nick
Hello Nick
As no one’s commented I will have a go !!
Not sure the question you are asking?
Unless your wheels are damaged and showing a large amount of BUCKLE I wouldn’t worry.
Perhaps you could post a picture to demonstrate your problem
At the moment I am restoring a set of 17 inch wheels so have feel for your comment
Regards
Tim
Well, I am not sure there is a simple answer to this. For road running at Seven speeds - in my case max 40+ mph, it seems that balance is not particularly important - though any reduction in the loads placed on the components as a result of better balance is good and a static balance can be fairly easily achieved? In terms of run out, when I check a wheel, I am not concerned if the rim moves 1/8" as I spin it, but might well be at 1/4".

Perhaps others have a view on this?
(14-02-2022, 01:27 PM)Colin Morgan Wrote: Well, I am not sure there is a simple answer to this.  For road running at Seven speeds - in my case max 40+ mph, it seems that balance is not particularly important - though any reduction in the loads placed on the components as a result of better balance is good and a static balance can be fairly easily achieved?  In terms of run out, when I check a wheel, I am not concerned if the rim moves 1/8" as I spin it, but might well be at 1/4". 

Before I read Colin's suggestion, I was thinking anything less than 1/4 inch was acceptable.
Hi All

+1 for anything under 1/4” although I got all mine to within 1/8” when I rebuilt them.

I would imagine that the positioning of tyres on the rim could be a similar amount?

Cheers

Howard
(14-02-2022, 01:27 PM)Colin Morgan Wrote: Well, I am not sure there is a simple answer to this.  For road running at Seven speeds - in my case max 40+ mph, it seems that balance is not particularly important - though any reduction in the loads placed on the components as a result of better balance is good and a static balance can be fairly easily achieved?  In terms of run out, when I check a wheel, I am not concerned if the rim moves 1/8" as I spin it, but might well be at 1/4". 

Before I read Colin's suggestion, I was thinking anything less than 1/4 inch was acceptable.
With wire wheels it is possible for the hub to be offset from the centre in the vertical direction when on the car. Is this the question that is being asked?
Jim
Depends a bit on the type of wander. A slow wander over whole wheel and same both sides more noticeable than a quick mainly one sided kink due some past incident, as this affects tyre less.
Main thing is spokes not loose and working in the centres and rim. If nipples rusted up adj can be fraught, esp if the long spokes cannot be replaced without removing the centre. Striking the nipple bodies between two surfaces may break rust.
Wandering rims confuse toe in. A centre line can be scribed by using a pointed hacksaw blade sprung horizontal on its side to scribe a track around the tyre.
Thanks for all the information and brainstorming! I have decoded to take the wheels to Nick Mouat so they can be checked on a proper jig. He said that he would hope for 1mm if he rebuilt wheels or replaced spokes and set up again.
Re the comments above I was not concerned about balance as we have on our modern cars. There are of course several ways wheels can be out viz. buckled laterally as my rims, square wheels instead of round (exaggerating a bit) and the wheel circle off centre. Will keep posted.
Is is the wheel out of true or a badly fitted tyre ????