The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dixi Winter
Is there a difference between plus fours and 'Oxford Bags'?
Whilst this may seem to be a bit off-thread, I understand that entrants at the Centenary Rally are encouraged to wear period clothing at the Prescott day.
Oxford bags were full length and had hugely wide legs sometimes as large as 28” or even 30” around the turn ups.
I challenge anyone to arrive at Prescott wearing a pair like this!

I'd challenge anyone to drive an Austin 7 wearing a pair of those!  Over the years I've managed to get the gear lever and handbrake up my trouser leg (not at the same time).
You'd need to make sure the front u/j on the prop-shaft was properly covered.
Glaswegian doorman to potential customer:
"Ye're no coming in here wearing that, ye look like a Jessie!"
Why am I suddenly reminded of the late lamented Derek Saddler who lived on Mersea Island? 

He was one of the first Austin 7 owners I met... a real character and I have fond memories of seeing him and Liz flying along in a yellow chummy that looked like it failed its first MOT and never quite got one back... I still get asked if my ORT was one if his cars. If you knew him, you'd know that's probably not a complement about the car!

Ah... those were the days!
Here's a photo of the one in the BMW museum showing the divided track rod.

Attached Files
.jpg   Under front OS.jpg (Size: 63.33 KB / Downloads: 191)
It has been so hot and humid here such trousers could be ideal. Would not frighten children at the supermarket as my legs in shorts do. 
The photo excellent. On the red car the radius rods looked like an axle. Did any other make have such a basic system? I suppose the spring also took a lot of bending in some 1/4 elliptic straight axle arrangements as early Chev etc.
I have been communicating with all available German Dixi people for the centenary presentations. The independent front suspension made by BMW as they parted from Austin was regarded as a disaster and dangerous. It was not continued for long. Remember to visit the Cambridge Club upstairs display at the Centenary! I have been given a fascinating Dixi story from 1928 to the present day and the car will be at the celebrations. I hope to have the story on one of our VDUs although it is rather long. Picture is front page only.

.png   Dixi.png (Size: 1.86 MB / Downloads: 96)
(11-02-2022, 09:46 AM)Malcolm Parker Wrote: I'd challenge anyone to drive an Austin 7 wearing a pair of those!  Over the years I've managed to get the gear lever and handbrake up my trouser leg (not at the same time).
You'd need to make sure the front u/j on the prop-shaft was properly covered.

Anyone heard the story of Isadora Duncan who was famous for wearing long flowing silk scarves,she died in 1927 when her scarf caught in the back wheel of her newly purchased car.