The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
blown engine for sale
Hi all,

I been asked to sell a blown engine for a friend.

Picture attached below.

The main details are.

Front blown engine castings, timing gears, and cozette No4 blower. All supplied by dave dye.
John barlow 1 1/2 pressure fed crank.
Phoenix rods.
Blown cam, and high pressure fed oil pump by paul bonewell.
Fully rebuild block, with 7 county Austin's slipper pistons 56.50mm NO liners.
New What more Hewitt head.
Vince leek gearbox, 4 speed close rasio. Modified gear rasio as in Doug Woodrow.
Dante exhaust manifold.
Comes with all anciliaries fitted.

The engine have started and run on test, but has not been driven in anger on the road.

So you are getting a newly build blown engine.

Price is £12,500 or as close as we can get.

I understand on the old forum, two of our well known race boys sold WARN blown engines for £15,000 each.

So if you want a nice engine, this won will be a bargain at the asking price.

Thanks tony.

[attachment=16651]

[attachment=16653]

[attachment=16655]
I hate to say it but I think thats a very reasonable price for that engine.

I am into about £6500 invested into a Nippy engine so far. Thats without valves or pistons and I will be assembling the engine myself.
It all adds up quite rapidly.
I'm with Richard.
However, I always thought that an SU with the oiler in the dashpot side was a downdraught version. Am I mistaken?
Not that it probably makes a difference anyway

Charles
hi dickie,

most people ignore how much these things cast, until there own needs restoring.

most people will still suggest a full engine rebuild costs £3.5k to £4.5k. with the restorers. yet in sure to get the job done properly today will cost far more.

since those prices were around, crank bearings alone have gone from £200 to £250.

i find with building something like a blown engine, is more are all the parts available at the same time. rather than the high build price

also on the subject of engines, if anyone is looking to buy a rebuilt engine to get there car on the road this year. i have at least 3 to go out for sale. or on ebay. 2 have alloy heads etc. plus 2 restored bottom ends.

even a rebuilt rosenguart block if needed.

tony.
I just said to Debs, " That engine would be great in the special. If we don't go on holiday for the next decade I could buy it..." 

It has gone very dark, cold and quiet in the house. Can't think why..
I can
Alan Fairless
At least you aren't now sitting out in the unheated garage  Smile
Just out of interest for those of us not involved in the higher echelons of A7 engines, if someone was to put this is a standard saloon would it:
A: go like stink and put a silly grin on your face
B: be a pig to drive in traffic due to things like narrow power band, high revs needed etc?
C: both of the above
D: something else
Andy
Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think!
(03-02-2022, 02:32 PM)Andy Bennett Wrote: Just out of interest for those of us not involved in the higher echelons of A7 engines, if someone was to put this is a standard saloon would it:
A: go like stink and put a silly grin on your face
B: be a pig to drive in traffic due to things like narrow power band, high revs needed etc?
C: both of the above
D: something else
Andy

A - yes, very much so
B - no, except for a possible tendency to get hot in traffic. The blower gives a broad torque spread from low down, so little need to go over 5,500
C - no
D - It will test every other part of your car and even on a reasonably well set up and lowered "sports" Ulster I get the feeling that the car can get me into trouble if I'm not careful, usually on damp mini-roundabouts.
A blown engine is okay in a sports Austin where accessibility to the engine is not a problem.  In a saloon, the under-bonnet space will be tight and even routine maintenance jobs will be a pain.   My Pytchley saloon had an engine with twin SU's and a bunch of bananas exhaust manifold.  I have reverted to a single SU on a modified Ruby manifold.   For a road car there is a lot to be said for a standard manifold and single carb.
I have previously had a blown engine in a special, using a Shorrocks C75B driven by a toothed belt.  Maximum boost was about 5psi.  The torque was very impressive.   Power output was 32.5bhp at 5000rpm as measured on Stuart Rolt's dyno, which has been shown to be very accurate.   The un-blown engine in my Ulster rep with it's trials cam and Ricardo head is not far off the blown engine as regards torque but is a whole lot simpler.