The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scruffy specials - where have they all gone?
Herewith an offbeat response: I have been working on a presentation for the Centenary event and my task is to cover Germany. Many of you will know that Sir Austin agreed a manufacturing contract with Germany in about 1927 and many A7s were built and called Dixies. They were A7 except for the radiator and badge and a change to LHD. The company became BMW!
I have been given a huge amount of information by their Archivist but have also been told by another contact, Gottfried Muller, about the IHLE cars which were special bodies fitted to old Dixies; you could have it all done for you or buy the bodies and do it yourself with of course other go-faster mods.
Here is a copy of an email I recently received from Gottfried:
"Two  young  brothers founded  the little  company  in 1930  . Rudolf and  Friedrich Ihle  .   They called  it  " Gebrüder IHLE "  
in  Bruchsal   ,  South west of  Germany.  One of the  young  owners   died during  war  in 1945 , the  other  started after war again  and  produced   kidcars , small ones,  and  elektric  ones  for  holiday parks.   In 1985 the company gave up . Nothing is  left about  the  prewar  history.  I  know  today  the  very old  widow  IHLE  and have bought  the  last  prewar IHLE  600  which was  during war  outside  Bruchsal.   .
The  company itself  had  to  produce  military  things  after 1939   ..  1945  the  town Bruchsal was bombed down  in  one  single night -  and the   IHLE factory  was completly  destroyed ,  6000  people  died   in  one  night . Bruchsal burned down completly  .  Archivs  of  Bruchsal , the  Barock castle  and   all central buildings  were lost , not a single  paper  about the   prewar  Ihle   and/ or   their business  history was  left.  Nobody knows numbers about production . Probably  less  than 700  cars   were  produced .   Less than 100 are  left and  probably   less than 30  are running.     21  cars  will  join  each other  in   29th  of  Mai 2022 in  Bruchsal for the  first time  ever.  I do the  organisation work.    It will be  interesting     all the  best Gottfried Muller."

So if you want to go to that unique 'special' gathering on 29th May I am sure they would welcome guests and you will see some unusual 'specials'. I have attached a copy of Gottfried's car, the last IHLE. It is somewhat over 500 miles to drive.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thanks to Alan and Steve for identifying my pictures, I have now updated my blog page:
http://austinhealeyspritemk2.blogspot.co...tures.html

I wonder if anyone has more recently built a replica of one Arthur Mallock’s Austin Seven Specials ‘Bomsk’ WJ1515 in its 1948 Prescott form (rather than its trials incarnations, JAP engined racing car or as a parts donor for the first U2 space-framed racer):

https://www.arthurmallock.com/about &
https://www.arthurmallock.com/arthurs-cars

Or anyone built a replica of Simplicity?

I wonder how many specials inspired by these cars, and writing in the 750 Motor Club ‘Bulletin’ and the various editions
of ‘Special Builder’s Guide’ at the time still exist, and are still racing. There must have been a big gap when innovation in what is a superb formula moved on just keeping the basic chassis A7 frame, then 2inch chassis rails, with spaceframe around it plus wings and Reliant engines before the 750 Trophy and historic 750 Formula? I can imagine Ulsters and Ulster replicas surviving, perhaps more homebrewed designed specials using A7 engines, chassis and upright bodywork disappearing into sheds/broken up.

Bomsk as well as Simplicity were built by Jack French and were influential cars with strong innovation in design/modification, for example in suspension, taking special building into the realm of racing car construction for the ‘impecunious enthusiast’ and encouraging and inspiring others.

I note Bruce Mclaren’s Seven special is now restored in McLaren HQ: https://www.mclaren.com/racing/inside-th...-austin-7/

I know the idea of building a replica of Bomsk is really daft as it seems the car was always changing.

Cheers
Mike
A few years ago Andy Storer built a copy of John Willment's trials special 'Press on Regardless' for the Willment family:

Mike,
Bombsk was never lightened to the extent of eliminating the second B in the name! And building a replica isn't so daft, just choose the year. I'd suggest the 1172 version, roughly 1956 or 57, since it was in that form for a while.

There was a replica of Simplicity, whose name has been shortened, being originally Simplicity Itself and occasionally entered as such. My cousin Ray Taylor built a very close copy, albeit on a 6.9" Ruby frame rather than a short chassis. For a while the 2 cars were almost indistinguishable, but then Simplicity was lowered and widened, and Ray's car was bought by David Allen, father of Nick with the truly imaginative specials.
Somewhere on this site is a photo of the 2 cars, taken in 1957, looking very alike.
In my view, if anyone were to build a replica nowadays, it should not be of the car as it is today, but as it was in 1962 when it was still a reasonably quick 750F car, not a gruyere beam-axled vintage special.