The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Body to chassis packing thickness
Does anyone know the original factory thickness of the body packing between the steel floor and the chassis body supports?
Thanks,
Stephen
Which model car? If it is a Ruby, I can measure mine in the morning. The body is off at the moment and the blocks are readily to hand.
This would be for a 1929 AD bodied Chummy / Van.
Stephen
Ah. Sorry, but I cannot help with that model.
Packing pieces were made to fit the spaces - hence "packing".

Altering these correctly can have a marked improvement of door and bonnet fit.
I understand that Ruairdh, but I am wondering if when new the cars had pads or material on all the contact points where the body sat on the chassis mounts. If so what would the materials thickness have been?
Fitted packing pieces to my Ruby a while ago.
Each Fitted to the space tightly as suggested by Ruairidh.

Not sure how the original thickness would be relevant now ?
(20-01-2022, 01:28 PM)Steve Bryant Wrote: I understand that Ruairdh, but I am wondering if when new the cars had pads or material on all the contact points where the body sat on the chassis mounts. If so what would the materials thickness have been?

That would be entirely dependant on the individual characteristics of each chassis and body.
I've always used strips of 3mm thick foamex plastic which is impervious to water and oil and also is slightly compressible.  You could double it up if necessary but if you needed to do that I would question whether your chassis is true.   The standard steel Austin floorpan is not very rigid and will pull down easily when bolted onto the chassis.  It is what then happens to the door and bonnet fit that can cause problems.   I would start by using single 3mm thick packers and see what happens.   It's not an exact science, if it looks okay when finished it is alright!
Unsurprisingly, I agree with Malcolm and use strips of the same foamex plastic (that he gave to me!!).

Steve