The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chummy tonneau cover
I am thinking of getting our local trimmer to make me a tonneau cover for the 1927 Chummy. I'd be grateful if some photos could be posted on here so I can see what others have done in terms of the fixing methods (lift the dot, etc).
I do not like putting holes where they don't already exist.

The cover on the Cambridge fits over two Lift a Dots at the back, and has two elastic straps with plastic hooks on, whick clip over the mudguard stays at the front.

The Tourer one isn't finished yet.

I'm not sure what I will do at the rear, the hood is still fitted.   If the hood wasn't fitted, there are existing screw holes to use.

The front has the elastic/hook arrangement.

The middle will be supported on a light bar that follows the contours of the seat backs, and has a vertical leg each end, which will drop into the side screen holes.

Which means it can be folded back under itself, so covering the rear compartment only.
I do agree about putting holes where they didn't ought to be. So I am looking forward to seeing what ingenious solutions have been found by others.
I don’t have a photo but on my Chum the tonneau is fixed with double length lift a dots so it uses the same ones as the hood for most of it, and the side screen open fasteners too. There are only 3 I think additional fasteners.
Alan Fairless
(14-12-2021, 04:37 PM)Alan Wrote: I don’t have a photo but on my Chum the tonneau is fixed with double length lift a dots so it uses the same ones as the hood for most of it, and the side screen open fasteners too.  There are only 3 I think additional fasteners.

I did the same with the tonneau on my Lea Francis P Type Tourer. However, the problem with a Seven is fastening the tonneau down at the front as (unlike the LeaF) there's no horizontal surface behind the screen to locate any fasteners on. On my Trials Chummy (soon to be available for sale) I fitted three 'angle' pieces to solve the problem but that's a trials car and function is more important than form! I wouldn't want to do the same on an original car.

Angle pieces can be seen here:

Steve
Hi Nick

You took some lovely pictures of the Brookfields Special at Beaulieu. These show the tonneau well. Luckily the screen is set forward of an aluminium binnacle so I could put press studs there.  I put press studs at the back too. I prefer press studs to lift the dot as I’ve had nasty scratches from the pin. However I have had to resort to lift the dot fixings at the four corners as I nearly lost the tonneau when towing the car on the trailer. Lift the dot are much stronger than press studs.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Howard
I have always wondered what was fitted new?
The weather equipment on my mag chum is so good I can't believe they didnt consider a cover.
If nothing how were things secure?
John W
As far as I know, the Chummy was never originally fitted with a tonneau cover. When I got my Chummy, some of the screws holding the aluminium strip onto the top of the body had been replaced by Lift the Dot fasteners so that a tonneau cover could be fitted. It didn't come with a cover, so I don't know how/if it was held at the front.
On my roadster I have a one piece windscreen as we do in Australia and it's possible to sew a piece of hose into the leading edge of the tonneau and tuck it under the screen before closing. Two other fastening points were to attach tonneau/bunjy loops which stretch over the door handles. Be sure to cover the inside fastenings of these loops so as to save your paint.  Happy xmas  Nick
hi Guys 

a note from Australia.

when fitting a tonneau to a Chummy why not simply make a sleeve that fits over the windscreen.  if this is made to the full height & width of  the screen with some additional overlap on each side it will only be necessary to attach some bungy cord ties at the rear end to fit over the folded hood.

this method avoids the need for any additional fasteners.

if the tonneau is to be split along the centreline to enable the driver position to remain available the sleeve over the screen can be split centrally with Velcro tape in the overlap.

the side overlap will cover the edge of the body.

all in all a simple solution that does not require additional fasteners and can be removed completely when not needed.

have fun
Bernard