The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Confused with bumper mounting issue
Hi All 

I have recently bought some new S/S bumpers for my Ruby which are very good, but when I came to fit them, the bumper iron holes are several inches away from the ones in the new S/S ones, so I measured up the old bumpers and the new which are the same length, then I measured the hole centres in the new ones compared to the old ones and found them the same also, Hmm what's going on here ?

I thought it might be the fact that the new ones need to be bent to put a bow into them to replicate the old ones, easy done, but the new bumpers and the bumper iron bolt holes are still inches out??

I offered up the old bumper to see if the holes align and they are inches out too ?

I am confused why would the old bumpers not align to the bumper iron holes again ?

Am I missing something here have a look at the picture, new and old bumpers exactly the same length, both hole centres the same but now both the old bumper and new bumper are inches out from the bumper iron holes  Huh

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Could it be that the Y arms have sprung apart a bit during a bump and released tension when you removed the old bumper? Can you pull the arms into place with a bit of brute force? G-cramp or big mole-grips?
Have you got front and rear mixed up. They are not the same.
I agree with Graham, that looks like a front bumper on the back.
On my car each pair of holes in the rear bumpers are 4" and about 14 1/2" from each end.
Agree with Graham and Paul that looks like the front bumper at the rear end.
I too bought S/S bumpers for my Ruby and had to resort to a good deal of coaxing to get them to fit but I would not make any attempt to bend them to shape, mine took up their own form by locating both of the inner bolts and loosely fitting each nut. This did entail a fair bit of persuasion of the irons, I then fitted the outer bolts and again loosely fitting the nuts.
All of this took a great deal of persuasion of the irons including using clamps to manipulate the bumper and irons. Then I gradually tightened each nut and the bumper took up its natural shape, without any prior bending.
But make sure the bumpers are at the correct ends.
I agree with Colin. Rear bumper holes on my Ruby are the same at 4" and 14.5". The front bumper measures 3" from the ends and 14.5" for the inner holes.
OH dear why did I assume the longer bumper was the front one Doo !
Thanks all
Never ASSUME because it will make an ASS out of U and ME...
?( that was supposed to be a wink emoji)