The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sales & wants
Good morning all. Is there a need for a separate ‘Sales & wants’ section? 
Couldn’t S&W be accommodated in the forum or ‘headlined’ on the forum with a fuller description in the separate section?
Regards from the creative county - Staffordshire
I can see arguments either way Stuart.

On the plus side everything's in one place. Could get a bit irritating if every other forum post is from an enterprising trader (as seems to be the case on facebook now).

Also if you have a premium bond cheque in your pocket and browsing for something to spend it on it's convenient to have all the ads in one place.

Other sites I subscribe to if anything use more divisions - perhaps one area for trading, another for technical queries, one for FAQ's, one for jokes and chit-chat. It does help somewhat with efficiency if you are looking for something. Needless to say, the more complex the site is the more time our esteemed admin team would have to spend setting it up & maintaining it.

Not sure if everyone is aware, but users can elect to receive e-mail notifications when new sales and wants ads are put up - thus eliminating any risk of missing out. Though someone may have to remind me how you do so.
I prefer there to be a separate 'Sales & Wants'.
Hi

I agree with Nick but would there be a method of marking the banner at the top of the forum page (next to “view new posts” with a highlight when a new sales or want is posted?

I must admit to forgetting to check the sales want part of the forum even though I’ve used it very successfully in the past.

Cheers

Howard
I, on the other hand, never think to look at "Sales and Wants"! There never seem to be many, anyway, so I can't see any reason why they shouldn't be included in the main Forum.
Hi all I am with Nick on this one. I do agree with Martin in as much as there is not much sales and wants but if included in forum chat in my opinion this would greatly increase.

John Mason.
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
Perhaps as a compromise we could keep the separate sales and wants section where full details of the sale or want could be put but also have a single thread on this forum titled something like "New post in sales and wants" where people could put a brief description and a link to the sales and wants page.
Big Grin 
Neat compromise. Smile
That’s an excellent solution as I find accessing Sales & Wants a faff.
Stuart
One of the reasons for not having lots of forum subfolders was I believe to keep it all simple, wasn't it? It's thus like a stream of consciousness but we all have the option to filter it (i.e. what we want to select) via the title. Sadly, not many actually put any thought into titles to summarise what is actually in their post. We also ought to have an override where others can suggest an overwrite to thread titles for the common good, so threads will actually get found again on searches, rather than us coming back round to where we started in the goldfish bowl... and asking and posting the same things all over again...

yes, DaveG's idea a good one!