The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Anyone know this car chassis C124484
Went looking for a bacon slicer starter motor and bought chassis C124484  Confused 

what I know, it left the UK back in the early 80's to Holland where it was dismantled. was a circus car, must say the chassis is still in great condition.

Found the chassis number C124484 this evening, the PO had a photo of the car from around the time it came over...

any ideas

cheers
Matt

So a little more research shows chassis 124483 and 124486 are 24/2/31 and 13/3/31 interestingly both Swollows !!! Are swallows suspension or chassis any different as I dont have any body parts, would be nice to ID it as a swallow ....

cheers
Matt
Although it would be nice to think that it started life as a Swallow and the chassis numbers might suggest that possibility, from the photo the radiator, bonnet and scuttle are all standard Austin-built 1931 components so I think it more likely that it was originally an RM saloon or AG tourer.
http://a7ca.org/chassis-register/notification-form/ get it on the register anyway - it's not there!
Sadly it's not in a chassis range that is still available to assess the new car spec for, at Gaydon.
Judging by the length of the scuttle, and the shape a what wouod be the screen. It was a RL saloon.
A Swallow chassis would originally have had a pair of very heavy steel rails parallel to the chassis between the outer ends of the crossmembers, as shown in the photo.  There are also four additional holes (arrowed) in the top of the chassis rails (required for the strange running board support arrangements), which in the case of the car that we have here were crudely punched, rather than drilled.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thank you, Martin, that's a useful nugget of information.
Reference to the chassis register, by my estimation, and it takes a bit of working out as there are so many cars with what are obviously 'interesting' relationships, its either December 1930 or Jan 1931 in build terms.

There are a lot of RL saloons (identified by the body number on the register - so I guess as accurate as its going to get) on later chassis than this. And the accepted date for the longer scuttle in Wyatt etc is Jan 1931. As I said earlier that scuttle in the photo is a RL saloon scuttle.
Thanks for the comments, I do remember seeing several holes in the upper side of the chassis unlike my other, unfortunately I can’t get to look before the weekend ahhhhh.... for sure I don’t have the large outer sills, but then l’ve also seen the rear outriggers have also been cut / modified at some stage ...

Well I’m sure whatever it was after 90 years lots of changed

Cheers Matt
Martin - have your Swallows got the rear oblong "chassis supplied by" plate on the rear crossmember? Most of the cars which went to Mulliner or Gordon England (for instance) will have these, so Matt, perhaps look for that too?
Jon - no evidence of the plate.

Matt - another pair of Swallow-specific holes are marked in green below.  these were where the battery box was attached.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)