The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
New owner
Hello,

First post, 

I have purchased a 1933 RP box that needs some work - all interior is in need of replacing (martin on the case now), the old owner also said he took the car off the road when it started squealing on the road under load about 7 years ago.
I have not looked at the source of the squeal yet as its one job at a time but suspect grumbling thrust bearing or dry diff - Job for another warmer day. 

I managed to fire the car up on sat after replacing leads, coil, condensor, points and drain of the old fuel etc etc. 
I had problems starting her and realised it was the ignition switch as the light is coming on and off when touched, the connections on the back ive re seated and are fine now.
Im pretty sure its the ignition switch that has an open circuit, looking on ebay there are PLC2 switches but with NRM 14 Keys, i have the spade key on mine.
Are they a simple like for like swap or would i be better hunting for the correct one?, 

The plate on mine is EJ 3638 (named Elizabeth Jane by someone else at some point) - anyone has any pics or history pre 1977 that would be awesome - i have loads post 77.

Thanks
Roy
My own car (a 1933 RP like yours) has a replacement later type switch fitted with a key ignition rather than a spade, and, yes, it will be a straight swap. Having a key is also (marginally) more secure. The old spade type switches can be turned with a screwdriver!
(19-10-2021, 05:34 PM)David Stepney Wrote: The old spade type switches can be turned with a screwdriver!
Or a paperclip in my case!
Excellent thanks for the quick responses. They have a few on the auction website so i will have a bid.
I was also thinking the same thing, a key must be slightly more secure.......
roy