The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
French Traffic Regulations - important changes
With effect from 1st March 2017 the design of warning signs was changed, albeit slightly to take account of the prevalence of average speed cameras (image on the left)

However... there is no legal requirement for the placing of such signs, although there is advice that for fixed sites the sign, if placed should be no more than 600metres (motorway) prior to the camera, or 400 metres (90kph).

[Image: panneau-radar-vitesse.jpg]

I doubt if they'll ever totally get rid of "prorité à droite" because it keeps too many body shops in work... It is, however something to be very vigilant of particularly in French towns and villages.

Beware of this sign: [Image: th?id=OIP.Rszy23uo8KwllhpsfD1Q7QEsEs&pid...=300&h=300] and ALWAYS check road junctions on your right - if there is no stop or give way lines across the mouth of the junction then that road will have priority over you. It's daft, I know but that's how it is. Don't expect a local to enter your road with caution. It's their right of way and you'll be at fault if there's a coming together. Lots of skid marks are a dead giveaway.

Just one more thing while I'm on the subject of French driving laws. It's worth knowing that the French have a totally different way to the UK for negotiating roundabouts. Their "Code de Route" gives instruction that when approaching a roundabout, irrespective of which lane you use on approach, if you intend to leave at the first exit you should indicate right. If not, then you should indicate left until you get to your desired exit, when you should indicate right. This effectively means that the right hand lane on a french roundabout will be used by traffic turning left, with a left hand indicator. It's done not just by lorries but by everyone. If you use the left hand lane be VERY aware of traffic on your right prior to peeling off. If you collide then it's the vehicle which has crossed the mane markings which is at fault.

In addition, many vehicles in the South of France are either not fitted with indicators, or have an indicator stalk which operates in the opposite direction to the steering wheel, thus giving no or misleading signals. Trust no-one. If I remember correctly when we bought the Mem'Sahib's Peugeot the salesman did ask whether we wanted to tick the 'with' or 'without' indicators box...

Messages In This Thread
RE: French Traffic Regulations - important changes - by Reckless Rat - 10-01-2018, 04:16 PM