The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
factory stamping: fr. axle, gearbox & G'box tops
Both I and G seem too late for a box without speedo drive, this change was made in 1927 so C or D suffixes would be appropriate for the last of these.

May be a non-standard or sports application (X seems to have been a marker for these)? What are the ratios? Are the XL numbers 3 or 4 digit?

While on the subject, a front axle I'm working on has this stamped on it:

The axle is supposed to be from a 1932 RN saloon.....
And, with a bit of digging... yes, it looks like top must have been separate as think its 1A possibly 3042 - and the box casting is XL 930 or 950. The top row of cogs... 14 at back and then 20 in middle. But again, unlikely the X has any connection because of the parts being easily mixable.

Re your axle, do you mean it looks like its never been separated from the 1932 car... but in fact obviously has been changed for the 1929 part earlier in life?
3 digit XL means very early, 23/24/25. I can't find the list I had of numbers of teeth on the gears - I used to use it as an exercise for students to work out the overall ratios!

Re: the axle, the RN saloon is a bitzer; it probably lost it's mechanical parts in the 1950's special building time. Someone has collected some of the right parts at autojumbles and I'm trying to sort out the mess! I think the axle is 1929 or 1930, depending on whether the number is related to the total number of axles produced or the number of axles produced of that type (i.e. shock absorber holes etc.).
is it not possible that the front axle number was merely 'linked' to the chassis just as the stampings on the engine parts, to stop things getting lost if things were repaired at service?
Any experience of 'W' stamps preceding the conventional gearbox code AND attached engine Mxxxxxx code, as to what they may have originally been for?