The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flywheel nut removal
Is it possible (or wise) to remove the flywheel with the crank in the case?
Con rods removed.
If so, how to get purchase on the nut without damaging or straining the crank
Yes. use a suitable block of wood inserted between the inside of the crankcase and the crank to block it and prevent it from turning. If the crankcase is out of the car, you may need a big mate to hold it steady whilst you undo the nut. A few good blows on the end of a breaker bar with a well fitting socket should get it moving. (3/4 Whit if memory serves me but don't take this as gospel).
I use a shifter on the rear web
I use an old clutch cover with a hefty bar attached, which engages with my engine stand and locks the flywheel. This prevents any force being felt by the crank.
Rick

In deepest Norfolk
I stick a rod through a hole in the flywheel and rest it against the bellhousing,then undo with a big ring spanner. no need to drop the sump my way. ( assuming there is a suitable hole in your flywheel )

This worked well without stressing the crankshaft, despite the length of the box sections I did not over tighten the nut, I hope will come off one when needing to.

Roger
Like Dickie, I simply pop a screwdriver in one of the holes in the flywheel rim.
(09-09-2021, 08:15 PM)dickie65 Wrote: I stick a rod through a hole in the flywheel and rest it against the bellhousing,then undo with a big ring spanner. no need to drop the sump my way. ( assuming there is a suitable hole in your flywheel )

Doesn't this risk breaking the crankcase ?
(10-09-2021, 10:59 AM)Tony Press Wrote:
(09-09-2021, 08:15 PM)dickie65 Wrote: I stick a rod through a hole in the flywheel and rest it against the bellhousing,then undo with a big ring spanner. no need to drop the sump my way. ( assuming there is a suitable hole in your flywheel )

Doesn't this risk breaking the crankcase ?

I've seen it happen!
I am with with putting an old stud in the hole in the flywheel rim like others have mentioned. As yet not damaged the crankcase but would if exceptionally tight apply a little heat to the nut. I suppose a purpose made tool fitting between the starter motor fixing holes could be made with teeth that meshed with the ring gear to prevent movement of the flywheel.

John Mason
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.