The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Count Your Blessings
Unfortunately I think we are run by what the Chinese call “useful idiots “
(05-08-2021, 05:36 PM)Austin in the Shed Wrote: Unfortunately I think we are run by what the Chinese call “useful idiots “
...that's commonly, but not confirmed, as being attributed to Lenin - though his party often referred in similar terms to traitorous Labour Party high-ups in the 1920s. Its origins are more complex, though in every case its use appears to have been by communists denigrating "Liberals" who, keen to promote democracy and soft on communism, must never have read the Communist Party Manifesto and its stated intention to get rid of such a silly notion.
I think it’s healthy to have one whacky thread as long as it doesn’t get too political and we fall out about it.

I agree with most that the electric vehicle concept has not been thought out properly, HS2 is an environmental catastrophe that will be obsolete by the time it is built, the only thing I think we can all agree on is that our Austin’s have some of the greenest of credentials when it comes to cars and carbon footprint.
(06-08-2021, 09:44 AM)Ivor Hawkins Wrote: I think it’s healthy to have one whacky thread as long as it doesn’t get too political and we fall out about it.
I agree. That lovely Yorkshire expression might sum it up: "They'll all queer 'int world, 'sept me and thee, and tha's a bit funny at times."
Uncle Mort:”If I had my way I’d ban it, me””
Carter Brandon:”You’d ban everything!”
U.M :”Certainly lad, certainly. It’s the perfect recipe for a happy and contented lifestyle!”

With thanks to the late, great Peter Tiniswood
Another one of his classic lines was: " I can't understand that woman. I bought her a perfectly good cement mixer for her birthday and she's never used it!"
...on the same lines, a Matt cartoon (If I remember correctly) showed a woman standing at the returns' counter in a department store clutch a bread maker. She's saying, "It's broken."
"What?" replies the chap behind the counter. "You actually used it?"
Thoroughly enjoyed this discussion and find I can add little that hasn't been already said on both sides. Meanwhile I will keep my greenest car, built nearly 90 years ago and for my modern have a foot in both camps with a 10 year old hybrid, which will at least drive when the battery finally dies - if we are allowed to buy and burn any fuel that is!
Perhaps there is someone out there that can explain why we can't just suck up the CO2 etc. and convert it to something useful?  My 1950s chemistry A level (failed) is so long forgotten I can't begin to work it out.

Dennis
If you could stop slash and burn agriculture the rain forest would do it for free.