The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Removing ethanol from petrol
I don’t think we have anything to worry about in our Austin Sevens.

I have driven the cars for years on E5 and used E10 the last time we were touring France. Some of my Sevens sit idle for 6-12 months, with fuel in the tanks, some are used daily. None of them have suffered in any way.

Friends in America have been running their sevens on E10 for years.

Other types of cars do have problems but I think, from a Seven perspective, we can relax.
Dont think we need worry about E10, more concern , is the reduction of petrol and the phasing -out of places to buy it. It will come.
Don’t think you need worry, at least in the medium term. It would be political dynamite to prohibit the sale of petrol at least until the population of ic engined cars starts to fall to low levels. Even then, petrol will still be available. My race fuel is delivered in cans to my house. It’s expensive but not eye watering. Unless petrol production is halted everywhere I assume that source will continue. However, I’ve worked all my life in the car industry. Gut feeling is the ic engine isn’t over yet.
Alan Fairless
The Haggerty site contains a page on the potential effects of E10.  In the comments section there is a link to a book called 'Classic Engines, Modern Fuel' written by Paul Ireland.  With this link it says:

"The above link is to the result published following tests conducted at Manchester University, using an old technology engine, and various fuels easily available.
If ethanol is going to be a worry to old vehicle owners, then buy the book, and give it a thorough read, several times, to understand how today’s petrol affects old technology motors.
The tests showed that, effects on old or marginally maintained fuel systems aside, old technology engines will likely run better on E10, than they did on current, or part fuels.
Its largely down to the ethanol offsetting the effects of a phenomenon known as cyclic variability.
The book is certainly worth a read. The results may also debunk much of the urban myth currently doing the rounds regarding ethanol in petrol?
Perhaps even the RAC, and the authors of this article should also take a look?"

Has anyone read it? 

There is no doubt that E10 can absorb more water than E5 and so has the potential to lead to more corrosion or degradation of vulnerable materials like rubber, but if real-world experience is not flagging a problem then that is what matters just now?
Yrr I have read it, more information than I needed but very interesting. Among his suggestions is making sure that you avoid heating the fuel line with heat shield and/or re-routing to avoid hot spots and using an octane booster. There were easily achieved and I did.
There was no information on blown plastic floats though.
I suppose I'll have to come round to the idea of treating them as a service replacement items or play with highly flammable liquids in quantity.