The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rear hub nut, what size ?
I've got to undo the rear hub nut on my Rp and the thinner nut beyond that,  what sizes are they,  ls the thinner nut a special spanner ?
Willie Mckenzie sells a tool that attaches to the wheel nuts to help undo the hub nut , has anyone had success with that ?
Thanks in advance
I have a spare wheel with no centre that I use as a tool to hold the hub from rotating.
The spanners needed are not that special just make sure they are BSF / Whitworth and the correct size.
The front hub needs a thin walled socket to remove the nut though.
I usually use a socket with a long breaker bar for the hub nuts and an open ended spanner for the thin bearing nut.
The thinner nut is 1" Whitworth Or 1 1/8" BSF. Not easy to find the big Whitworth size spanners these days. But a 1 11/16" AF or 43mm spanner should be a good fit.

Presume when you say the rear hub nut you mean the halfshaft nut? If it's not an early car, this needs a 3/4 Whitworth or 7/8 BSF socket; 33mm will also work. You simply won't get this nut tight enough without a socket and a longish bar. I use a 24" breaker bar.
(04-07-2021, 05:27 PM)Stuart Giles Wrote: ...  Not easy to find the big Whitworth size spanners these days.

Unless you look in the right place. Try BT952 here: https://www.a7c.co.uk/spares.php#tools
Spanner size chart and imperial /metric conversion chart.
                                                                                        Terry

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Ive got about 2 ton, so if anyone needs large Whit spanner let me know. 

Not that a normal spanner will do you any good getting the nut off the axle tube, the wheel studs are in the way. Hence why most have chisel marks. 

A ring spanner is what is needed. Or if your posh a socket or box spanner, assuming you can get them over the burrs from the aforementioned chisel marks!
(05-07-2021, 07:26 PM)Hedd_Jones Wrote: Ive got about 2 ton, so if anyone needs large Whit spanner let me know. 

Not that a normal spanner will do you any good getting the nut off the axle tube, the wheel studs are in the way. Hence why most have chisel marks. 

A ring spanner is what is needed. Or if your posh a socket or box spanner, assuming you can get them over the burrs from the aforementioned chisel marks!

Re. using an open end spanner on the nut, I've never had a problem with this spanner which was a hand-me-down from one of my brothers when I got my first A7 in 1971. Could be a problem I suppose with one of those  Edwardian era black steel jobs that have massively wide jaws.

[Image: 51300508543_58d3bf944d_z.jpg]

As a BTW, below the spanner is the tool I use for immobilising the hubs when I'm doing up/undoing halfshaft nuts. It's a (knackered) steel brake drum with the drum section cut off and a short piece of thick wall tube welded on. I put a stout pry bar in the hole so that it reaches the ground when I'm ready to work.