The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Valve Spring Compressor
Evening all, 

Can anyone point be towards a valve spring compressor suitable for an Austin 7? I can't find my existing one, but seem to remember it was specifically designed for an Austin 7 - are there more generic ones that would be suitable, or does it need to be Austin 7 specific?

Many thanks!
The original springs are very gentle. I have a home made one it is just a thin pipe or conduit curved in a semicircle, one end flattend and a slot filed, and the other threaded 1/4 W or somesuch. Can buy threaded rod in lengths.
I think you may find Ian Rendle has most A7 toolkit items for sale.
Many of the originals are bent through over enthusiastic tightening. The top and bottom arms should be parallel.
Jim
gbengineering is offering an original Austin Seven one on eBay - and though it looks it looks like it will need a 'slight adjustment with heat/hammer/vice' to true it up - that shouldn't be difficult as they are generally very soft. There are no bids as yet...The Austin part number is 2H32. Worth look. Good luck.
True satisfaction is the delayed fulfilment of ancient wish
I have a modern one that can be adjusted then clamped down for each valve without the screw. It uses a cramp lever on a similar action to mole grips. It is a little big but I take up the gap with a small piece of 1” x 1” timber.

John Mason
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
The ebay listing Bob referred to.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/133797325605?...SwQEFgt-iD
Looks like just the job
Thanks all for the pointers, looks a few options so I'll see how I get on.