The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Rear light mounting
Hi all,

I am trying to confirm what the original rear light mounting would have been on a 1926 saloon before I wire it up.

I know the 6” braked cars had the number plate and light mounted on the centre of the spare wheel and in 1927 the lights and number plate were mounted on a hoop on the back of the car. Like in the photo

But I have been told my car never had a hoop fitted and in pictures in the 70’s it did not,

Any help would be much appreciated 

Thanks

David

Attached Files
.jpeg   D8EB8128-292E-4FD1-A93B-50C4F0BED483.jpeg (Size: 97.97 KB / Downloads: 259)
Hi David

Rinsed Mills book shows a 1926 saloon which is claimed to be original in “almost every detail” and that has a rear hoop for the plate and lights (2 fitted but originally that would have been one).

Have you checked whether there are mountings for the hoop?  On my 1930 RK there are two top hat sections with the flanges riveted to the floor pan.  The hoop slides in the section and has two bolts to secure.  There may be some vestige of these mounting brackets if only holes for the rivets (unless the floor pan has been repaired in this area?)

Cheers

Howard
This is a 1926 car with 7" brakes, and no hoop for the number plate; I'll leave you to work out how it's fixed!

You can see two brackets coming from underneath. Can’t see the light though

I cannot find any mounting holes in the floor but there is some repairs

Thanks
My Top Hat is 1926 but it's a late, 4 piece bonnet, 7" brake car, 1927 model really.

The number plate was mounted on a hoop but this had been "got at" over the years and re-formed with straight lines and corners so I straightened it and remade it with gentle curves.

I believe this is the original CAV tail light and bracket:

.jpg   DSC_1137s.JPG (Size: 50.02 KB / Downloads: 184)

Which was originally longer (it's broken off on the left) and riveted to the number plate. It should be bent into a curve, some of which survives.

I've put a bar across the number plate to support a pair of replica AT201 tail lights plus indicators - my car is a driver.
You can see two brackets coming from underneath. Can’t see the light though
Hi
Originally only one mounted on number plate Correct brackets available from austin repro parts Normally 2 fitted these days TEL 01202 625242
David,

Just so you know what you are looking for here are the mounting brackets for the hoop on a '28 saloon. 4 rivets holding the bracket to a rectangular plate on the inside of the floorpan. If yours ever had one I would imagine the design to be similar.