The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cost of an engine rebuild to obtain more power unsupercharged
It's actually quite easy to get 30bhp from an A7 engine. All you need to do is smooth the sharp edges off the inlet ports (don't enlarge them, they are big enough already), fit a '37 head with 60 thou shaved off and get a 4 branch exhaust with a log inlet manifold and SU carb. A standard cam is quite good enough. It's the next 10hp that takes the getting.
The real skill, however is in getting them to stay in one piece, and for my money, if all you want is a quick road engine, I'd forget camshaft mods for now and spend the money getting the threads in the crankcase helicoiled and the front bearing lip replaced. Then invest in a new crank and rods and get them balanced, together with the flywheel. I know they will tell you they come balanced but I've had a lot done over the years, by a real expert, and I don't recall one that didn't need anything.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Cost of an engine rebuild to obtain more power unsupercharged - by Alan - 03-01-2018, 12:01 PM