The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4 Average
eBay becomes even less seller friendly
I have told this story before, but having had the experience of selling to a fellow Seven "enthusiast" who tried first to get a discount, then after I had called his bluff tried to force me, via threat of legal action to give a full refund but him keep the goods, Ebay very unhelpful help line told me to roll over... it would be cheaper in the long run. I didn't... but I don't sell on Ebay now. My wife is probably hoping Fbay or Gbay comes along soon, as the garage is filling up with old car parts!
how is a seller placed contractually when it's declared "for parts or not working" on ebay?

I must admit I still can't see why more lists aren't put up on here when the secondhand stuff is obviously honesty described... and after reading Nick's and others' experiences. Ebay clearly has a lot less interesting used stuff now. And yes, we must spread the word to new owners to buy new items from the known suppliers rather than the opportunistic overpriced listings trapping those who don't research well and wanting to impulsively button-buy on ebay.

People like scrutinising lists, (Tony's 2 Used Parts pages are a case in point to peruse every couple of weeks for interesting things, even if you don't actually need anything!) and people like buying privately from people they have a modicum of trust for; such as that offered through the forum. i.e. it is akin to a quality stamp knowing something is actually going to exist - and turn up.
Perhaps it is a general desire for anonymity in such things by generally private individuals? I know I wouldn't put up on here things I'm never going to use which perhaps WOULD go onto ebay declared damaged for a couple of quid, just because I won't throw things away and I'm optimistically aware there are people who love repurposing parts just because they have the skills to do so even when it is practically uneconomic. With a rusty, practically-scrap flywheel, it was lovely to see someone decide it was a long-ago machined item for a Roper aluminium clutch assembly... and have the last new assembly to fit it. (I learned something new, got a tenner I didn't have before and the item is probably now back in operation after 40 years in a box).
I decided to stop selling on ebay as I found their commission rate was climbing, seemingly without justification. I use it to buy things I need rather than just want (if I can control the urges!). I also found that carriers could be unreliable, they lost a pair of pristine Austin headlamps I'd sold and I had to refund and then claim on the insurance.
On one occasion I bought an item described as fully reconditioned and working but it hadn't been touched and needed full restoration. As I really wanted it I tried to arrange a discount to cover my fettling costs for seals, springs etc. but the seller did not want to play and claimed the listing was in error as he'd forgotten to remove the condition description. I had to bite the bullet and accept the finding of the claim as I did want to keep the thing.
As ever, it seems "caveat emptor" remains the watchword.
id like to think things could go back to how they were, were people offered us shed clearances. and we then done our job of sorting and selling by condition.

but sadly it cant?

even without covid, there are only 3 to 4 shows that are worth selling at as an austin 7 parts trader. our website helps alot to sell.  but it usually comes down to needing some money "as and when". so you can go buying when parts are available. AND THAT MEANS SELLING ON EBAY.

so if i was buying from a seller NOT wanting parts to go on ebay. thats an impossibly ask.

and thats why so many people look to ebay, both trade and individuals.

its the same for NEW parts, as the shows have all but gone. when i restock something like pistons at £16,000. or even £4,000 worth of head gaskets. or even £5,000 worth of sump gauzes ready fitted to frames. as a small company. a turnaround of funds have to come from somewere. or we simply give up with austin 7s. and with very few shows. again we turn to ebay.

so what can i say.

tony
I think it's fine for you Tony as a business. While I buy all sorts of odds and ends on eBay, as for selling - especially something of value - it's now a very unpleasant experience. Possibly, that's what eBay wants - only trade sellers?
tony,

my take on it all, is ebay are like any other company that has share holders.

it HAS to make more money this year than last year. OR its share holders go elsewere.

so they pay alot of money to so called experts to work out how they can bleed a bit more money from the public and trade alike.

the result this time, is noticing auction costs rise. so they have put theres up.

like i say the next rise to keep share holders happy is transfer fees.
HI ALL,
Just to give another perspective,
In NZ most people use TRADE ME which is a NZ Company
this is just a summary of charges for car parts
Item less than $1.00  NIL
Over $1.00  7.9% MAX fee $249.00
.30cent booking fee

Regarding VAT (we call it GST)
IF the seller is Registered it is included in the auction price not added on after.
If not registered can not be added to price
Postage options are laid out you just pick out a option trade Me is not involved as the funds go straight to the seller

Ebay has always been a pain from this part of the world mainly with postage charges

Colin Nz
Ayup Tony, you're sounding dangerously leftie there!
Good God duncan, shoot me now.

I'd never fit in those sensible shoes.
May I suggest selling items on PreWarCar? very competitive rates sometimes even free ! https://www.prewarcar.com/advertising-guide