The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Trafficator switch sounding horn on turning!
Have any of you had this issue?

If I turn the trafficator switch on all works as it should, as soon as I start to turn the wheel the horn sounds!

Have replaced the wiring with new and recall the whole unit was wrapped in taped when it came in to me.

Does anyone know a solution please?
Does it sound without the trafficator deployed?
There must be a leak of electrons from somewhere, my guess would be a faulty earth...
I think there must be a short within the column somewhere.
In the 70s a friend had a Triumph Vitesse with a similar problem except is was the headlights. At a certain position of the steering wheel the headlights went out. Some corners had to be taken st night in a series of swoops.
Jim
(06-06-2021, 05:24 PM)Duncan Grimmond Wrote: Does it sound without the trafficator deployed?

No it doesn't, I think it is related to the self cancel clip bolted inside the steering wheel...
Thank you AustinWood, that sound similar...
As I recall the horn button works by connecting the horn to earth. Is the end of your new wire from the horn to the push button able to touch anything metallic within the steering wheel hub - e.g. part of the trafficator switch - when the wheel is turned? I am discounting the likelihood of a bare bit of wire anywhere other than within the switch itself since the wiring is new.

Regards,

Stuart
The self cancel bracket inside the steering wheel touches the trafficator arms below the horn button as it rotates...
Hi

The only thing I can think of is that the horn wire insulation has frayed and the core is touching one of the small curved arms within the self cancel mechanism, or there is a some other fault effectively causing a connection between them. This may not matter initially, but once the wheel is turned and the arm touches one of the metal projections inside the (earthed) steering wheel boss the horn will be earthed and will sound.

I suggest pulling out the horn/indicator mechanism (sorry) and giving it a close visual check backed up by a test meter.

I'm wondering if the tape was an attempt to work around this fault ?
Thank you John, I pulled it up a few inches to have had a look at it today but will remove it properly and proceed as you suggest.

The tape, I am certain, was installed for the reason you suggest...
I think you're on the right track; I expect you will find a few stray strands from the horn wire. It is one place where a good soldered connection is advisable, not just to pass electrons but to keep all the strands of the wire captive. There is potentially no likelihood of strands fatiguing in this location because the wire is stationary in the stator tube.