The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
engine lacquer for block?
I've been using some carplan stuff that is mentioned in the Practical Classics write-up, for refinishing a block.
I just wondered on what others have found effective, or indeed have some found that just cleaning and stove-blacking works for blocks? I've been presuming that as parts of the block are less accessible, it might be less effective (despite personally liking the unpainted finish)

I'd also be interested to know if anyone has successfully lacquered the valve chest inner area. Was thinking that it being lighter in there might help for maintenance generally, But no idea in practice if this is a really stupid idea because of oil circulation, or other.
I've always used "Pot Black" which is heat resistant and used for motor cycle barrels. Easy to apply and dies without brush marks. I use it on both the head and the block. Personally I would avoid painting the inside of the valve chest just in case of any delamination.
I use brush-on gloss black engine lacquer on block and head and have no problems with it. I'm careful to keep it on external surfaces only, and carefully scrape off any that gets on the joint faces. De-grease first. 

I don't put any cosmetic finish inside the valve chest & not sure why anyone would.
(05-06-2021, 01:28 PM)Chris KC Wrote: I don't put any cosmetic finish inside the valve chest & not sure why anyone would.

In the secret nuclear bunker near Nantwich - https://hackgreen.co.uk/ the stairwell is painted yellow in order to reduce the suicide rate amongst those despairing souls closeted behind its blast proof doors after a nuclear holocaust. Perhaps there's an argument for painting the valve chest in a similar hue so as to cheer up Austineers searching for escaping collets or trying to ignore aching backs whilst setting valve clearances?
ha ha! yes, realise its unwise re. "internal" nature, but that was the thought - if it were lighter in there, it might be easier trying to do things with some constrast against a pale background! Or LED heat resistant mood lighting perhaps.
(I had seen one photo of someone who has painted it all black in there and that just seemed pointless!)
Military engines are painted duck egg blue in order to make leaks easier to spot, or so I was told.
Hi All

When I acquired my RK it had the inside of the back axle painted gloss black. Just hope it stays on  Undecided.

Cheers

Howard
Some of the reconditioned cylinder blocks I've seen have the inside of the valve chest painted with a special paint. I suspect this has been used to seal any traces of blast medium left in there.
  Quite a lot of hot rodders paint the inside of an engine, supposedly to make the oil return to the sump quicker.
It's generally done to seal the pores of the cast metal. It does make cleaning the innards easier when the time comes.
Stephen