The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bonnet rubber fixing wire
Afternoon all, I’m about to fit the radiator and bonnet to the box saloon and need some recommendations.

In the past, I’ve used mig wire to fix the rubber seal to the scuttle, but it rusts over time, does anyone have any suggestions for a better alternative?

Thanks fellas!
Galvanised garden wire?
Stainless steel wire used for wire locking.

Not a recommendation, just an example.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/US-PRO-Stainl...SwuQNdhK0B
Thanks for the recommendations chaps, I think originally the rubber seal was held in with separate pieces of springy wire which I doubt are available any longer so all suggestions gratefully received.
I'm pretty sure the original was just plain steel wire, which did rust, and also easily fractured. I've used galvanised garden wire as Chris KC suggests, and it works fine.
I use either stainless steel tieing wire I rob off the guys on mu civils sites, or use copper wire from a prehistoric reel I have (I also use it to hold the wicks in the bearing oilers on my traction engine)
Thanks Mike and Hedd, I’ll get on the scrounge tomorrow for Galv or stainless, both have to be better than mig wire!
I used copper wire stripped from household grey flat power (not lighting) cable, it doesn't rust and is easily formed into a clinch on the underside.
I use 1/16" (1.6mm) brazing rod. Seems to work fine.
Ah, I may have some brazing rod, I’ll check that out.