The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Engine balancing
Good morning. I am currently rebuilding two engines with Pheonix crankshafts. I have been advised that balancing is advisible. I have approached one company whose price would have required me to re-mortgage my house!

Could anyone recommend a company that is within driving distance of Stafford and will not cost the earth?

Regards from the creative county - Staffordshire

Stuart
Hi Stuart, it's more than 11 years ago but I had my 11/2" Pheonix crank etc. ballanced by these people 

Bradbury Engineering, Market Drayton | Engine Reconditioning - Yell

I can't remember the cost but, it wouldn't have been a king's ransom or I wouldn't have paid it!!

good luck, stay safe.
Hi Stuart

Malvern Rebore (in Malvern surprisingly  Smile ) lightened my flywheel, balance, fitted a starter ring gear did a rebore and skim all for about £600 if I remember Feb 2020 prices.

Cheers

Howard
Hi Stuart, is Chesterfield too far? I have had at least three phoenix cranks balanced at Noble Motorsport, Chesterfield. The last one I had done was about 4 years ago and cost around £120 from memory. Their place is on the West side of the town and maybe a pleasant run from Stafford.
I use Chase Engineering in Newcastle UL. They ain’t exactly cheap but they always been good.
Alan Fairless
I had one done in 2019, I did it in 2 'bites' - crank alone first, then as an assembly with the flywheel and clutch.
The former cost £69 and the latter £40.
T&L Engineering at Elstow. 

The crank in my Nippy was balanced manually on vee-blocks (admittedly by someone more experienced than myself) and never gave cause for complaint.
It’s my understanding that Phoenix cranks are purchased balanced.I use a company in Winchester ( too far away from you) and paid circa £150 to have the crank and flywheel balanced as a unit. I used my own rods and got them to weigh the same.
I am always interested in any information about Rosengart details or current owners.
Phoenix cranks maybe supplied balanced but when you bolt a flywheel/clutch on it needs balancing again as a unit.

Charles
Glad you agree Charles
I am always interested in any information about Rosengart details or current owners.
It would be worth calling Bill Eales at Midland balancing, has done several motors for me. Always had speedy service and a reasonable price there. Bill is based at Jason Howes' (Ace crank grinder) premises @ Walcote near Leicester. Bill's number is 07768 577222 Jason's number is 07706 008014