The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why do some sellers encourage buyers to destroy a good car?
What Tony says highlights a stark reality - what is preferable in today's world? A glut of dilapidated Rubies that may never see the road again or a Special/ Ulster rep build and use that appeals to a wider market, and at least keeps our hobby alive, albeit an affront to us older and more sensitive souls!
Certainly not disagreeing with Tony's post. I guess my point is really that our own fraternity has contributed to devaluing the Ruby.
It wouldn't be so bad if these Ulster replicas were any good, with proper reproduction parts expensively made as one-offs - and the cars built to an ex-factory specification with full wings. Sadly, most look like some sort of penny-pinching thing thrown together in the 1950s  - even though they will have cost a relative fortune to construct. As for dealers' over-the-top descriptions, what a pathetic joke most of them are - simply embarrassing to read.
As for the Ruby, yes, it has been the victim of snobbery by owners of early cars, but I (and all the A7 enthusiasts I know) have always considered it to be a proper part of the eclectic mix that makes up the A7 world. When my wife's example is ready for the road this year, we are going to enjoy making full use of it.
Hi nick,

As you say, I think alot of this we have brought on our selves.

I dont think it's down to snobbery though.

I have friends and customers who have more than one austin 7, and they often use the ruby over the chummy. For more practical reasons. Especially as they have gotten older.

In my own collection, I dont have a ruby. But it's not down to value. Not age. Not snobbery. Not because there common. And not even lack of space.

If I wanted a painted cowl rad car, I would have bought a sit up and beg, Ford pop. Sorry...

On the subject of bringing all this on ourselves, perhaps for the 100th anniversary event. The cowl cars will get there own special tent, and display. To show how wonderful they are, and everyone should have one. Or will it be a copy of the 90th, with the tents full of wonderful rear valuable sports models, that we all want to turn the humble little rubies into copies of???  Wink

I do apologise if my honest bluntness can upset some people. It's not intended that way. Tony
Your posts are a breath of fresh air sometimes Tony, don't apologise.
And you've been in 'the business' a long while so your specs are probably less rose-tinted than some.
I don't much disagree with anything anyone has said so far, and I guess we'll all still be talking about it for years to come.
If we're all still here that is, and if we're still allowed to drive A7's - now there's a big question.
I don't get why that car is likely to go to an ulsteroid if its got practically no rust! Hopefully it will be snapped up to become a daily user and is perhaps being sold as it was too good to split. It only seems to be the door cars which have been mucked around with. Has it got lamps and mostly complete?
It is going to be down to what people want in the future. Many Rubys are not in great condition and it takes a lot of time and skill to improve them. But everywhere I go my Ruby is admired - if people knew more about owning them, I am sure more would want to own them into the future. Any chance there is to get the next generation interested in all that it involves should be taken.

Having driven both a Chummy and a Ruby on today's busy suburban roads, I think that the experience is totally different. A Ruby can just about be used normally to get around - but driving a Chummy in normal traffic seemed to me to be a step beyond sensible - largely because of the threat from other road users who really did not understand what they were seeing.

I therefore use my Ruby all year round, but when forced to choose, reluctantly sold the Chummy.

After eighty or ninety years, every car has its own character and personality - I have seen other Rubys I would like to own, but many I would not - for all kinds of reasons. So it again depends on whether each Ruby finds its next owner. We can all help by preserving the inherent charm of our cars.
On the subject of bringing all this on ourselves, perhaps for the 100th anniversary event. The cowl cars will get there own special tent, and display. To show how wonderful they are, and everyone should have one. Or will it be a copy of the 90th, with the tents full of wonderful rear valuable sports models, that we all want to turn the humble little rubies into copies of??? 

I don't want to give too much away about my plans for the Centenary displays, mainly because I am still talking to owners of cars I would like to have on display and there is much yet to arrange. What I can say, however, is it is my intention to celebrate the Seven in all its forms. The other 'non-car' displays will also adopt the same ethos and there will not be lines of slightly differing wing shapes or wheels in serried ranks. There will be plenty of them to look at and compare outside with the cars entered...

Hugh
(07-01-2021, 01:51 PM)Tony Bett Wrote: If I wanted a painted cowl rad car, I would have bought a sit up and beg, Ford pop. Sorry...
The only car in which I've ever been frightened was a sit-up-and-beg Ford Pop. So for me - if not for Tony - it would a firm last on any list.

You could have one rank - a single example from each year. Just sixteen cars would cover it....
Well said Nick.
We decided to save a Ruby 2 years ago.
During that time we moved house into a project .
So it is taking a lot longer to get the A7 back on the road.
Some of you will remember helping with advice and parts so thanks again for that.
I am aiming to keep our A7 as original as is practically possible.

Power to the Rubies

Regards
Tim