The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Grub Screws to set Clutch Toggle Lever Height
(05-11-2020, 04:40 PM)Ivor Hawkins Wrote: Hi Jamie, I cut up an old drill to make the rollers in one of my old Rubies and it certainly made the clutch lighter and perhaps a bit smoother.

I’m used to the standard clutch and wouldn’t bother doing the mod again unless my arthritis in my ankles gets worse, but I’m glad I tried it.g

Thank you, Ivor. That is good to hear. I have a tin of hardened steel pins, so I shall sort out a matching set. If it makes the clutch lighter, I shall be pleased.

Regards,

Jamie.
I use the roller method copy of email sent to friend on how to check lever height on a clutch I had fitted some years before after he had relined it I always measure from the steel face of the clutch to the top of the levers it is a more accurate way to set height.
(Shorts description in A7 Companion)

This helps clutch assembly.   Terry.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

This is really helpful, Terry. Thank you. Time to get out the micrometer and rummage through that box of steel pins.

Regards,

James.
Another supporter of the pin system. I used unthreaded sections of 5mm stainless screws 12 years ago with no problems. Setting up can't be difficult because I managed it. Might have been lucky with the size though. One point is to be sure to get the right length - an interference fit in the slot helps when reassembling.
The rollers can be obtained from your usual bearing supplier
Does anyone have a simple sketch showing where to measure for the toggle height and what the height should be? I seem to be misinterpreting the written instructions as my toggles seem to be very low. The flywheel is on the bench, not the engine.

Thank you.

Jamie
An update.

I have now fitted 5.5mm rollers underneath the lever arms. Does anyone know whether the tips of the fingers which operate on the release bearing should be above or below the face of the main flywheel plate through which the fingers protrude? This is the plate which is bolted on with the six bolts. What distance or height should the finger tips be in relation to the plate?

Regards,

Jamie
Measure from the top of the finger that contacts the r/bearing to the steel face of the clutch plate which will be just outside of the centre boss below 1 1/4" on all fingers.
Thank you, Terry. I shall reassemble the clutch with the springs et al and measure the height.

Fingers crossed. At present, one seems to be inexplicably higher than the other two, but that may be because it is not fully assembled.

Regards,

Jamie
Thank you for the advice, Terry. I have assembled it properly now and measured the height. The are all between 1.27" and 1.30" above the clutch plate, so just need a little more grinding off. They have been built up with weld at some time and I have had to grind them flat as the weld was rather bobbly.

The rollers make a huge difference. On the bench without them fitted, I could not move the clutch by hand. With the rollers in, I can start to depress the clutch with pressure from one finger.

Regards,

Jamie.